Stacking Rocks with Rods

Malefactor

Membership Expired
So, i went to home depot and got those fiberglass rods that i've heard others use to support rocks when they have corris wrasse. Well, i've got one as well, so, i figure it's time to start early before he's flipping more than just the occasional frag around. Now, my idea here is... Since i've already got these things and they'll be supporting my rocks... I plan on drilling to the diameter of the rod and making sure it's a good tight fit and lift the rocks off each other so there's space between them for fish to swim / add more coral and of course more water flow.

So, the big question. Do i put the big rocks on bottom and little rocks held up on top? Or, is it possible to put the little rocks on bottom and big rocks on top.

Basically to make this more understandable. Do i need to put big rocks on bottom and small rocks on top, or can i put large rocks on top with them touching nothing at all but the rods?

If i put the small rocks on bottom, would i have to brace the small rocks to each other for stabilization in a triangle or square pattern and then brace the larger rocks above them in a tripod shaped brace. That's the most stable formation that's the least obtrusive i can think of.

Or would i be able to get away with less? What's the recommendations here and what others have done that's worked or failed?