SRBTA question

I bought a Sherman last week and the first couple of days it was doing great! It looked nice and bubbly. Ever since the clown started hosting it, it's been going downhill. The clownfish is 2" and the anemone is about 3"-4" big. Half of the anemone is losing it's tentacles, whereas the other half is relatively bubbly. All my parameter's are in check. I'm running reefkoi LED's on the tank and i'm sure there's enough flow. My tank has been set up for 2 months, but everything is from my old tank (that's been establish for 1+ yr). Old water and old rocks. The only thing new is the sand. All my SPS, LPS, softies, zoas/palys, clams, and livestock's are doing great.. Is the clown roughing it too much??

Is it losing the actual tentacles or are the retracted or bubble going away?

Check salinity I noticed if my salinity is too low it affects anemones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My salinity's at 1.025. I mean the anemone isn't losing it's tentacles, but they're being sucked into itself. Kind of hard to explain.

I have 10 anemones, and every once in a while one or two will shrink up. Then later they open back up again. Also, will the anemone need time to get used to the fish touching it? I would think that it would, but I have no clowns with mine.

David

They look all different kind of ways.

Sometimes a couple of hours. Sometimes a couple of days.

David

How is your iodine? If all your other parameters are good and your feeding it, that's another variable that can effect it. I don't know enough about LED's to make a helpful comment.

.06 is the highest you would want. You can wipe out your tank if you over dose it, so you want to test it first. Honestly regular water changes could help a lot too and there is iodine in certain fish foods too. I'd recommend just taking a water sample to your lfs just to see. If that's not it, at least you can cross that off the list.

I notice today that the clownfish is sucking/nipping at the remaining tentacles. Any idea why it's doing that? Could it be the cause of why the anemone isn't doing well?

I bothered one of my anemones once to get it off the rock and during the process, several of the tentacles flew off into the water column, and my "starving" fish slurped them up like it was food (guess they are too trained to eat anything in the water column or something). Anyways, point being, some fish will eat the tentacles, maybe he actually eating them. From the pic, it doesn't look like they're really there anymore (as opposed to being shrunk) but I would just watch it closer, it may take removing the clown if he's being too rough, which can happen too.

An update on the anemone.. so a week and a half ago it lost all of it's tentacles. It looked like a toadstool coral. I've been feeding it every single day the past week, from krills to silverside. It's finally starting to grow new tentacles and looks really healthy. It's finally letting the clown host it without being stressed. Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

Phillip

glad to hear it's recovering, good luck and keep an eye out for any signs of distress. IF it was to go, it can really muck up the water.