Sps id - Montipora capricornis?

chriscurtis

Premium Member
[Any guesses? I 've read Eric Borneman's class on the subject but I'm waaaay too lazy to do all that. So instead I'll just ask for opinions and go with the majority.

It started as a small frag from a club raffle and is now one of my better corals. It's a lot thicker than other montipora capricornis pieces I have so is it a different species or just a different variety of m. cap.?]

[Chris my guess would be that it is not a Montipora Capricornis. But one of the other plating Montiporas. Here is link to a bunch of them and it is probably one that is pictured on this link. But that is as far I go, the way I look at it your guess is as good as anyones. ???
Reeftalk list of montiporas]

[Thanks, Rick. Hopefully I'll find it there. Here's another montipora - and it's one I got from you last summer at the meeting at your house. Do you know offhand its species?]

[That picture of the first coral. Is that also from my tank? If so I thought I recognized it. Does it have green polyps? If it is the one I think it is, it is an encrusting montipora.]

@salsini wrote:
[Rick Thanks for that web site.] said:
[Ron, well I hope that site doesn't give you a headache like it does me. I start looking at corals trying to id them and I always get to the point where I can not narrow it down any closer than 3-4-5 corals.]

[I dont think its cap,,,, Chris gave me a piece of that and I even told him that then.. after looking around I believe it is Montipora effusa....... Like chris said,, its very thick to be a cap. the piece he gave me grew to almost 3/8 inch thickness in my tank.. take a look at the coral ID page from AU ...

Nathan Whelks Coral Search]

[Hi Nathan! Hey, how come the corals on that site NEVER look like the ones in our tanks? :smart:]