Sps dying and Green slime algae in refugium/sump

So lately I've been having weird coral death in my tank... So my parameters are good and stable, got my temp swing down to 80 in the morning to 80.6 in the afternoon, no stray electricity, lighting (vega) is probably lower than it should be but no browning just stn'ing. All of my bigger lps and other corals are thriving and growing like crazy. I've been fighting this for over a few months now and I can't figure it out... It's a rigged 28g jbj with a 20g sump. One half of the sump houses a ehiem skimmer, filter sock, brs reactor running carbon and gfo. The other half houses more live rock, cheato and return pump. I'm also dosing cal, alk, and mag. I've crossed out a lot of possibilities and I'm loosing hope... I've cleaned it all out but what is this green slime algae that was in my sump?

Cal-400
Mag-1320
Alk-8
Ph-8.1
Nitrate-2
Phos-.02
Salinity- 1.025
ty6egeba.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temp is a little high for where I like to be. I like to be at 77-78. Now you must be feeding a little to much and getting false readings on phosphates. With algae growing you will not get the correct readings. Cut back on feeding a lot for a while and even light period for a while till green algae stops growing.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

I wouldn't say that your temp being that is the sole issue for losing your sps....mine runs from 80-82 and my sps are doing fine (I would like to have it cooler, but that is as cool as I can get it in the summer without running a chiller). Are you having alk swings by chance? I am no sps expert, so I will defer to somebody more knowledgeable on that subject, but don't think it has to do solely with your temp.

Is your algae only in the one chamber of your sump, or is it in your chaeto chamber too? If it is only in the first chamber, it may be catching some indirect lighting from your sump light. Maybe adjust the lighting so that it is pointing away from that chamber???

Good Luck!

Yes it's the light that's arching across. I just found it weird that it's only growing in the 1st chamber before it gets to the chaeto.. I'll rig me something up tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Eric81 wrote:
I wouldn't say that your temp being that is the sole issue for losing your sps....mine runs from 80-82 and my sps are doing fine (I would like to have it cooler said:
If your having success with sps your temp must be in the 77-78 range. Probably need to calibrate your probe. : )

I recently went through a STN issue that even affected some LPS when I had drastically increased feedings to help a tang that was getting a little too thin. Green algae bloom all over my sandbed that looks similar to your picture so I changed out GFO more often to get rid of what I am guessing is residual phosphate in the system. I did lights out for 3 days to knock the algae back, let the GFO strip out phosphates, and the STN stopped as the algae went away.

I might have missed this somewhere, but is this a new tank?

My first thought it the age of the setup. Took me almost a year to get rid of mine.

On the positive note, the flourescent green on the algae is amazing.