Split Sumps

mediccby

Premium Member
Does anyone have any thoughts on Split sumps? I have a 20H that currently has an AC 70 on it. I would like to do a sump. But the space I have to put the sump can fit 3 5.5g tanks. I am just wondering how to set it up. Any thoughts??? I do not feel comfortable building my own Acrylic tank for a sump. The area is under a wet bar.

I have two 20 longs in my setup... One is sump and one is fuge. Here is a pick from when I was first setting it up:

20120530202455.jpg
alt="">

@mediccby wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on Split sumps? I have a 20H that currently has an AC 70 on it. I would like to do a sump. But the space I have to put the sump can fit 3 5.5g tanks. I am just wondering how to set it up. Any thoughts??? I do not feel comfortable building my own Acrylic tank for a sump. The area is under a wet bar. said:
What will fit in either of the 3.5g sumps? It's not a good idea - it sounds like you are going to need something custom-made to fit such a small area. What gear will you be putting in your sump?

Custom is the obvious best solution, you could make it work by cascading the tanks so they gravity drain into the lowest. Could do one mechanical filter/sump, another refugium. All you overflow needs to fit in the last tank obviously.

Last sentence "all you overflow will need to fit in the last tank during power outages." as it should have been stated.

You could do a "balancing pipes" approach as well.