Snot like algae in refugium

mikebow16

Premium Member
I've been fighting this snot like algae in my fuge for a few weeks now and I'm not sure how to rid myself of it. I've tried culling it but it is on the rocks also, I've tried algaefix, my next thought is chemiclean.

Any thoughts on what it is or how to get rid of it?

Whenever I'm battling algae, I siphon as much out as I can. I add chemi-pure elite and purigen... and then I do lights out for 2 days.

Looks like bubble algae. If its not too much rock, I would pull it out and scrape the stuff off. Leave it out a few days to make sure it dies. Then put back. You don't want that in your DT.

What's the flow in your sump like? If its in the fuge portion that is moving slow, it might be something that could be removed by more flow. Looks like dinos kind of.

The tank has been up and running with that fuge for almost 2 years so I don't think it's the flow. It kind of reminds me of red slime, at least what's on top the rest is like a thick slime I have never seen before

Mike

Can't really tell if it's dinoflagellates or cyano.
Took us months to get rid of dinos in our display. Flow didn't help, nor did water changes. Actually what turned it around for us was skipping a couple of water changes while sucking out all we could and cutting the light cycle (which is why it took forever, we didn't do total lights-out).

@escaudio wrote:
[I]@ReefNut2010 wrote:[/I][quote="Dynos thrive with water changes ! said:
Please elaborate."]

Dinos are silica based so new silicates are added with a water change sometimes causing a bloom. Everything has its' nutrient!

I read through my book. (Algae- Julian Sprung) It says, no water changes, run carbon. Another thing i have seen work is raising your ph to 8.6, but in doing so don't kill everything. Be sure to read very carefully how to accomplish this at a safe rate. Dinos can kill coral and fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk