Small particulate removal

mikebow16

Premium Member
I've been trying to remove small particulates from my water column for some time now and I'm looking for a new approach.

I have a 180 mixed reef tank, I can't use a filter sock because there is no room for one in my bubble trap. I added a filter pad right before my fuge section in my sump and it seems to help to a degree but I think the remaining particulates are too small.

What can I use to clean up what is left?

Mike

@mukymuk wrote:
You could use an external canister filter with a pump. Use a 100-200 micron filter in it. said:
That's a possibility but to clear 180 wouldn't that be impractical?

I run carbon with a filter bag but that wouldn't affect small particulates.

Maybe a binder additive, I've never used one and don't know if it is safe.

Mike

Actually, it's the most practical solution I can think of. The size of the tank isn't really a factor in the long run. Yes, it will take longer to clear a 180 than a small tank, but we're probably talking about only a few hours with a reasonably sized pump (~system volume per hour). I doubt you'd need to run it 24/7 unless you have an unusually high bio-load along with unusually low processing and export.

I use one periodically on my 700 gallon system. I'll run it for ~24 hours every other week or so when it's "hurricane" cleaning time.

I don't use any chemical product to my tanks unless I have some idea what it was made of. Certainly not to solve a problem that can be solved mechanically.

Well, I say "canister" but what I mean is the generic water filter cans. BRS has something like this: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reactors/gfo-and-carbon-reactors/brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor-1.html

You can put a standard filter in it. You can go to homedepot and DIY too.

If you want something bigger you can look at the ocean clear filters. I have one of those too.

Eheim sells canister filters to polish the water. Another one that is very effective (but hard to find any more) is a diatom filter. It's only to be used occasionally.

For me, particulates are normal and potential food for SOMETHING in my tank.

@Marc wrote:
Eheim sells canister filters to polish the water. Another one that is very effective (but hard to find any more) is a diatom filter. It's only to be used occasionally. For me said:
Thanks guys.

Normally I wouldn't bother removing them except these I suspect is fine sand dust stirred up when I moved the tank a few months ago.

Mike