Slug lookin thing

Alright so today I came home with a new tank addition(frag) and was acclimating it and had to do other stuff in the meantime while it did..well it acclimated for a gooood amt of time since I forgot to add it to the tank [smilie=surprised.gif] until i remembered when I was getting ready for bed. Tank lights were out already. Sooo when I went to go add the coral to the tank I turned the lights on and saw a slug lookin thing that looked like a snail w/o a shell. Not sure what it was but its bothering me right now. Ive got a lot of money into coral I got in my tank and dnt want anything to end up missing! It was greyish whitish color and had a stripe dwn the center of its back. It went into a rock when the lights came on. So after adding the coral into the tank I turned em back off and waited a while to go back and turn them on, saw it again on a different rock near the bottom which Im sure was another one of them. I wasnt able to snap a pic b/c by the time i grabbed the phone it went up into a rock under my chalice.. Its the first time I see it and my coral has been in my tank for a while with nothing missing....yet and hopefully nothing does. Anybody have an idea what it could be? I'll keep a look out again w/ camera ready and see if I can snap a pic.

do you dip your corals before adding them? it should have killed anything like this. look at marcs site to see if you can find it, maybe a stomatella - http://melevsreef.com/id

@Wes wrote:
I dnt dip my corals. Whats a good coral dip? I was on that site just now but didnt really find anything that looked like it, also googled it and didnt really find anything. I read that a stomatella has a shell very thin and kinda transparent. Not sure if thats what it is though. Before I add coral to my tank, I look at the plug and pull off anything that doesnt look good. Also havent bought any rock or anything and I know for a fact it isnt a hitchhiker from any of my rock b/c I threw my rock in ice cold water too kill everything off of it when I got it. I saw the critter again and it hid but I pulled that rock out and am leaving it out overnight.. I dnt want to risk anything even though I have mostly frags, but their higher end frags for the most part.
Thanks!

Pics on this phone suck and it came out blurry b/c I had to run and get whatever what closest to me to snap the pic. But I got it. This pic makes the critter look dark but it isnt. Turned lights back on and found this guy in the open. Same one that was near my chalice. I looked closely and did see a thin shell on it. I believe it is a stomatella, so I guess im on the good side. But either way, whats a good coral dip? I was on marinedepot the other day and was reading reviews on some and they all had good reviews.. Therefore, I didnt know which one to get.

1zou4jo.jpg
alt="">

you should be dipping every coral you add to your tank. it will prevent this and many other bad things from getting in. the only thing in my tank besides fish that i havnt dipped is my anemone and my clams. i use mostly coral revive but i have on hand iodine, furan2 and interceptor tablets. here are a couple good links for dips.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=38493

viewtopic.php?t=30746

You really should be qt any new corals. It seems like hard work but other choice is treating pests like aefw or red bugs which will make qt corals from the start seem like a piece of cake and usually only way you find out you have them is when you already have an infestation in your tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@kuyatwo wrote:
You really should be qt any new corals. It seems like hard work but other choice is treating pests like aefw or red bugs which will make qt corals from the start seem like a piece of cake and usually only way you find out you have them is when you already have an infestation in your tank Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
Yeah I started looking into that. My question is at what specific gravity the qt should be at?

When the lights came on this morning I found one of these guys on the glass, took a pic of it in water and then saw my 6 line nib at it.. Took the snail thing out and tossed it out but got a pic out of the water too.

CIMG2059-1.jpg
alt="">

CIMG2062.jpg
alt="">

CIMG2061.jpg
alt="">

It is still a stomatella, an algae grazer, a good guy. Nothing to fear or remove.

The stomatella can lose its tail due to handling, just like a lizard drops its tail. I don't know if the dropped piece can survive, but when it has broken off in the past, I'd throw it in in hopes that I'd get two out of the deal. ;)

Quarantining is important. http://www.melevsreef.com/pest_control.html

I never knew what those were, but apparently got them as hitchhikers in my tank, too. They seem to be multiplying readily in my system. They like to get on the turf scrubber, and can be difficult to remove from whatever they are on, sometimes separating, as Marc has indicated, when handled, with both parts likely becoming individuals. And so far, I think they may be some of the best cleanup crew there is!

David

Enjoy them. If any of you can bring some to the frag swap, I'd love to get a few for my reef.

I believe some wrasses will consume these, picking them off the rockwork easily. Stomatellas tend to be nocturnal. They come in at least two colors.

Thanks for the link Marc, learned things I did not know! [smilie=clapping.gif]
As far as bringing some to the swap, I will look for some more in my tank and take some if I find them.
I do plan to attend the swap. Soo I've been wanting to pay for my membership but got no CC and printer hasnt been working in a good while.. I never use it. Im never able to make it too the meetings either. Is there going to be anybody at the swap that I can give the money to for membership?

Me for sure, or any other BOD member. Eventually you need to find me to get your membership processed though. :)

Marc, we have these going crazy in our tank. As soon as some of the smaller ones get a little bigger, we can bring some in to one of the meetings for you. We have 3 colors so far, one is black with one white dot on it that came on a frag from NextWave, but I haven't seen any babies from it yet. "Stomazilla" has an orange foot and is huge. There are 2 decent sized orange babies that somehow ended up in the fuge. They seem to be growing fast so I could definitely bring one of those. The other is pretty normal colored and there are a ton of standard colored very small babies in both the DT and the fuge.

I have pics of "Stomazilla" and the other one, but none of the black one since I've only seen it 3 times. Let me know if you'd like to see the pics.

I'd love to see pictures, and get a few of these. Thanks for the offer.

Here ya go.

"Stomazilla"
5564649589_dfb266286f.jpg
alt="">
5564648763_571afb9c78.jpg
alt="">
For size reference
5564647395_f3b5fcda92.jpg
alt="">

Regular stomatella
5565238770_d3709e1c0e.jpg
alt="">
For size reference
5564661185_087b953508.jpg
alt="">

Nice. And it looks easy to get out of your tank. hehe

Well, you can't have "Stomazilla" LOL. I do have 2 small orange ones in the fuge though, that are about the size of the ones I originally got and appear to be growing faster than the regular colored ones. Stomazilla spawned again last night, so I'm sure I'll have more orange ones eventually!

How small is too small for your giant tank?

No such thing. Smaller ones can hide in the rockwork more easily. :)