Skimmer overflowing at top

Spar

Premium Member
I have an Octopus skimmer (model 500 or 5000... whichever it is that is made for a 500g+ tank). Lately it has been overflowing out of the cap/top instead of filling up into a separate container via the hole at the bottom of the top where it should drain down a tube.

It looks as if the bubbles are getting too thick and the skimmate is collecting upwards instead.

Any idea why this would be happening? Do I have the bubble line too high in the neck? Maybe the hole is too small for the drainage?

2011-11-12%25252019%25253A22%25253A45%252520%25252B0000.jpg
alt="">

That's weird. It's almost like the skimmate dried and is not letting any make it's way to the bottom. Is it really dry?

@coralreefer wrote:
That's weird. It's almost like the skimmate dried and is not letting any make it's way to the bottom. Is it really dry? said:
It is dry and foamy, but not hard.

My skimmer's lid isn't flat, there is a raised section in the middle that I think forces it downwards instead of allowing it to travel to the edges.

a6890a73-ccfb-2ffe.jpg
alt="">

Thanks all.

Yes, cleaned and checked for obstructions each time. I will try making it wetter by raising the line a bit. See how that goes.

did it just start doing this? if you had fine skimmate before i'd give it a day before adjusting to much. my skimmer does this before by not for a long period of time.

I was having the same problem. Initially, I closed off the hole for the drain in my collection cup and the skimmate would come out of the top - just like your picture. Now I added the drain tube back and the skimmate is now falling vice forcing it's way out the top. Nevermind, I just saw you are using a drain tube. You can try to get a funnel, cut it to size and put in on the cover of your collection cup. This will create a "V" shape and forcing the skimmate down. I'm far from being an expert. Just trying to help out with my crazy thoughts [smilie=thinking.gif] .