Sick fish, any suggestions?

sick-tang.jpg
alt="">

He acts perfectly normal and it doesn't seem to bother him. Marc and I talked about it and checked electricity, which seems to be ok. Any help would be appreciated, he's a good little guy and I'd hate to lose him.

--Andy

I'm using an API test kit and have NEVER seen any detectible amount of nitrates OR nitrites in my system. Since I thought that was odd, I occasionally have the LFS test it as well and they are showing the same thing (although they use the same API kit as I do, which I've heard isn't the best).

I'll pick up the red sea one today and test just to make sure since that seems to be the consensus. I've got 1.1 stray volts in my tank when Marc suggested I test for electricity (which shouldn't be enough to cause it, and all the other fish seem to be fine).

He also suggested he might not be getting enough vegetable matter, so I'm going to start supplementing more with actual algae (right now I use a new era veggie block in addition to his flake food).

Assuming it is HLLE, should I see noticeable improvement if I get him into better water, and over what time period? Or does it never go away and it just won't get worse? I'd assume it would heal, but I just want to make sure I know what to expect so I can better judge what's actually working and what's not.

--Andy

I had been using Chemi-pure in the system and have been since the system got up and running. I just removed it, as I feel like I have plenty of other filtration in the system and yes, that has some carbon in it, but isn't exclusively carbon.

I keep salinity at 1.025 and use a Tunze osmolator so it rarely fluxuates, pH is usually around 8.0 - 8.2. I buffer frequently, but I'll admit I can't seem to do it enough to keep it at 8.2 at a minimum.

This fish eats mostly Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 flake food, I use a heavy vegetable new era grazing block about once a week as well.

I've had him for about 2-2.5 months. He had no signs of it until just recently. Probably developed everything you see in the picture in the last week to week and a half. He's a fairly skittish fish still, so I don't see him every day and he may have had very minor signs of it before that which I didn't notice.

--Andy

Oh, forgot to add I just tested with the Red Sea super accurate nitrate kit and it is showing slightly more color than the .25 ppm, but considerably less than the .5 ppm. My monthly water change is due on the 1st of next month, which would end up happening this weekend.

@Daulken wrote:
Oh said:
I would move to biweekly water changes over monthly personally. This will help keep your parameters more stable in the long run. Can't offer any advice to your fish's situation. Hope it goes well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Forgot to add. I would put in algae or nori as opposed to the veggie blocks and switch to a meatier food (mysis for example) over flake. Flake foods are decent but aren't as nutritious as real veggies and meats. While I haven't used it personally, Rods Food Original formula seems to get some of the best reviews for overall balance of nutrients needed for fish.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.