Show off new coral Cyanaria Lacrymalis

Peter I just watched your cam and your tank is so beautiful. I like the Cynarina. Does yours look iridescent in person? Mine looks all different colors depending on how you look at it...like oil in water.

Marc what do you think about it? :lol: (Marc took me to Franks tanks and I bought one of these. He kindly told me that it was too tacky for his taste).

Angela

:lol: I'm never going to live that down, am I Angela? Nor will I buy one. :p

Updated picture from top down..you can see an orange red linkia for color comparison.

Cyanaria.jpg
alt="">

Yours is prettier than mine. The red is beautiful. These things will eat whole silversides! Freaks me out so I dont give mine many. Is that another one right beside it?

I'm never going to live that down said:
No. That or the "So Karen do you like...farm?"

Yes, the other one (less colorful) is also Cyanaria. I also feed silversides. I tried to do this at night when the fishies are asleep.

@orchidsnfish wrote:
Yours is prettier than mine. The red is beautiful. These things will eat whole silversides! Freaks me out so I dont give mine many. Is that another one right beside it? [quote="I'm never going to live that down said:
No. That or the "So Karen do you like...farm?""]

:lol: I did finally figure out why I had you so mixed up with someone else. That day I was reading about another online friend named Karen who's suffering from cancer now, is making plans in hopes her husband can either keep the tank or sell it off without too much headache. She is located way out in the middle of nowhere, Tx.

I really shouldn't be so embarrassed. Everyone knows I'm horrible when it comes to names. And I was going to call you Karen in this thread one more time, but figured I'd better not. Not that it made much difference, because you remembered it anyway. :wink:

By the way that is a Cynarina, one of the largest single-polyped corals. I never knew it was in the same family as blastomussa and acanthastrea. I also did read that they can very sensitive to the presence of some soft corals. In nature they are very solitary corals, so I am guessing that is the reason in tanks they do not like the allelo-pathic compounds released into the water by some soft corals.

Rick - do you think that red color will keep better if this coral is placed in lower light? Anthony Patrick thinks so. He suggested that bright red should be away from intense light.

I saw an exquisite pink cynarina at Plano pets during their sale and after the discount it was about 45 dollars. I did not buy it and instead got a pretty toadstool. I have regretted it ever since. Everytime I see one I just want to whack myself on the head and declare how insanely stupid I was at not buying it. :cry:

@peterlin wrote:
Rick - do you think that red color will keep better if this coral is placed in lower light? Anthony Patrick thinks so. He suggested that bright red should be away from intense light. said:
Borneman suggests that they are tolerant of low light, but upward facing placement with low to moderate is optimal amd current should be low. I think the red will hold as long as it stays healthy. They are a very good barometer of tank conditions. If tank conditions are ideal, they will be full and colorfull. But as water conditions deteriorate, they will become dull and deflate.

Rick - Thank you. I hope to keep this one happy. Its now in a corner where there is less current. Still need to find a rock/poxy to keep it up right.