Should I Panic?

mitch91175

Premium Member
I have a Blonde Naso that seems to have marine velvet. I know for sure that it is not ich. I have a ton of live rock in my tank so catching him will require breaking down the entire tank. He is fat and eating well. Should I panic or let him go through the process and get better? The other fish in the tank are not showing signs of velvet. He has shown signs for a about 1 1/2 weeks.

I do feed garlic in the sea weed and mysis shrimp when I feed. I also do a 30 gallon water change every Saturday and replace filter socks as well. I also change out the carbon every 2 weeks. I want to surely avoid tearing down the tank and putting copper in my show tank. Are the any other options besides continuing what I am currently doing to ensure stability in the tank?

On the tank I am using ozone. I think I may need a more powerful air pump for my ozone reactor though. I currently am using a luft pump. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a good air pump that would get me at least 5 PSI?

if you are wanting to catch him to qt him a fish trap would be best so you dont have to break the tank down.

@mitch91175 wrote:
Any ideas on how I can catch him from the tank? said:
I've had good luck catching them around 3am.. just make sure the room is really dark, get the net ready and flip on the actinics and get them in a hurry. I caught a smallish Purple Tang like that and could catch my Sohal if I needed to now that hes not sleeping in the rock cave any longer.

You could also do it with a flashlight.

Otherwise, a fish trap is the best way to go but not always quick.

Last resort is breaking things down but that stresses everything out. Grabbing them in the wee hours is much less stressful.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think before I completely breakdown the tank, I will try to boost their immune system with soaking the seaweed in Vitamin C for a few days and also adding drops to the water. If that does not help, then I will try to catch them out of the tank.

@mitch91175 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think before I completely breakdown the tank said:
Vitamin C won't do much.. its water solluable and breaks down fast..

Mitch.. please don't take this wrong but if it is Velvet or some other illness, pull the fish out and treat it. Don't take baby steps and have to pull it out when its near death or beyond help. All you are doing is delaying the treatment and risking the fish itself.

Marine Velvet kills fast and shouldn't be played around with. Either treat the fish now before it gets hold or just let it run its course, either the fish will recover or it won't and the others in the tank may catch it.

Vitamin C will do nothing...

I borrowed a fish trap from a member a few weeks ago to catch a regal tang. My blond Naso was cruising in and out of it quite comfortably by the 3rd day. I just used a turkey baster to put their frozen food in the trap and it worked great. Good luck with his treatment!
Mary

I caught the Naso out today by just moving a few rocks. I immediately did a fresh water dip. I went and got some PraziPro and did another fresh water dip (5 minutes each time). I have the Naso and a Duss in my 75 gallon that I will fresh water dip everyday for the remaining of the week until all signs of ich and velvet are gone.