Setting up 60 gallon reef

Schoggins

Premium Member
Hello Everyone, I figured I would introduce my self and post up some of the current build I am working on. I recently moved to Fort Worth from Philadelphia (Nov.1) and left the 30 gallon I had there. This will be my 4th reef setup. I started in Austin, TX with a 90 gallon reef that I relocated and set-up again in Chicago. Sold the reef whenever I moved to Philadelphia and only did a 30 gallon bio cube.

So now I am here in Fort Worth and will be working on setting up this 60 gallon reef that I purchased from a member on the site. I will try to to keep this updated as I progress...... I wanted to take and slow and make sure that I have all of the things that I have learned over time are what I like. I wanted to put as much into it at the beginning to make the progression easier.

60 Gallon RR Tank and stand
- came with tank, stand, canopy, sump

<u>Stand</u>
The stand only had a smaller door on the front of the stand and I personally love more access into the stand to get the sump in and out if needed. I also like the idea of having side doors as well which I had not had in the past. Rather than building a completely new stand I stripped the stand down to the 2X4 frame and then rebuilt it to the way i preferred. Large door on the front and then doors on both sides. I put a 3" plywood top on it for added stability as well. Once complete I painted black. I ordered doors through barker doors and will attach them using magents so i can completely remove them rather than them being hinged.

<u>Canopy</u>
The canopy only had access from the top, the front did not raise so this was something i definitely needed to change. So i used the existing canopy but stripped it down, made a few cuts and changes. I have made the canopy to where the top is pretty open for adding rails to hang lights or whatever and the front will hinge up giving great access inside.

<u>Sump</u>
This was a wet dry filter and I was torn on whether or not to create a new one or to try and reuse this one and modify it to what i needed. Knowing all of the other items i wanted to buy I decided to try and make the modifications. I cut out the ledges in the first chamber that was used for the bottom platform the bioballs sat on. I then split the second chamber into two, one for the return pump and then one for a small refugium area. Glued in acrylic baffles to complete this and it was my first time working with acrylic but went very well. I purchased some yellow PVC and plumbed everything in (but of course not until i put the below equipment in to ensure the fit and layout.)

Now that the tank, stand, and sump are done it was time to purchase equipment and a lot of other stuff. Thanks to BRS black Friday deals here is what I have procured so far:

Lights- Maxspect Razor 16K 27" fixture..... I like it so far, but we will have to see once there is water in the tank and it is running.
BRS reef saver rock- 75lbs
Ocean Direct sand- 60lbs
Red Sea coral pro salt
Float switch and aqualifter for ATO
Eheim compact 3000 return pump (from fiberglass monkey on DFWMAS)
Reef Octopus 110 skimmer
ReefKeeper lite plus
Titanium heater
Bio-Spira
75 GPD RO/DI
Side cabinet from walmart for the ATO container and power center.

I have completed the aquascaping and glued the rocks for stability. I put together the walmart cabinet and wired the Reefkeeper and everything for the power center. I have installed the RO/DI in my garage and plumbed it in to my hot water heater cold supply line.

My next steps are:
Get the water station complete with trash cans and all.
Paint and install the doors that just arrived
Order more supplies that I need before actually adding water and everything. I will need test kits, maxijet pumps, another heater for water station, biopellet reactor, refugium light, ATO container and I am sure more than I am not thinking of right now.

Here are some pics so far:

alt="">
alt="">
alt="">
alt="">
alt="">
alt="">

That is really nice! Thank you for sharing, and welcome to the area! Jebao wp-40 wave makers are pretty cheap right now.

@DFW wrote:
That is really nice! Thank you for sharing said:
Thanks! I have an mp10 that I did keep from my last tank and will add a second once water is in the tank. I think this should suffice for flow, but if I wanted more i was thing of a jebao wp-10 on the back wall.

@Schoggins wrote:
[I]@DFW wrote:[/I][quote="That is really nice! Thank you for sharing said:
Thanks! I have an mp10 that I did keep from my last tank and will add a second once water is in the tank. I think this should suffice for flow, but if I wanted more i was thing of a jebao wp-10 on the back wall."]

You had mentioned maxijet 1200, which I like for mixing stuff. I need one actually. I can't find an impeller that fits the old one that I have. I have a 65 gallon with 2 wp-40s. They alternate running one at a time. I have never used the wp-10. I have the 25 in my frag tank.

David

So I got my water station set-up in the garage, nothing special so I didn't take any pictures of it. Went and got a used maxijet pump from Salty Bottoms for $10 so that I could pump water from bucket-to-bucket, help mix, and pump into tank.

Today I put the Ocean Direct live sand purchased from BRS into the tank. I wanted a shallow sand bed and had purchased 60lbs, but man was that way too much. With all the rock sitting directly through the glass, I guess it took up a lot of surface area as I used less than 40lbs to get about a 1 1/2"- 2" sand bed.

After that I started pumping saltwater into the tank. I placed a glass bowl on the sand bed to assist with the dust and I do have to say that I am impressed. Once i got the tank full the cloudiness was there, but nothing bad at all and will clear up quickly.

Last, turned on the pump, skimmer, and heater and worked on finishing setting up the reefkeeper. Here are some picks of it so far, and cant wait to be adding livestock in the future,

alt="">
alt="">

So, since I have not updated in a while I figured I would post some stuff. The tank has been doing well and I have been making some changes here and there. I have added a refugium light and chaeto into the sump. I have also added a dual BRS reactor and plumed that into the return, added GFO and Carbon.

Now for stocking the only fish that are in the tank are three blue green chromis. I have a number of snails and crabs, but nothing else for fish/inverts. I have added a number of different corals, either through purchase, trade, or even gift thanks to some nice members on the site. I have a number of different zoas, frog spawn, torch, duncans, toadstool, and then some monti (red, green, purple, and warspeed), and then some other small sticks of SPS.

Here are some update photos.......

alt="">
alt="">
alt="">