Sell me on the Apex Controller...

Drew

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
Ron, pete, David, or anyone else?
I've debated getting an apex for a while and I'm pretty much convinced that I want one. My question is, which one do I get. What accessories are must-haves? Should I buy extra plug strips? What other probes are needed?
Please help...all comments and suggestions welcome.

I bought the APEX base unit (not the light one) as I wanted the dimmable light control and Internet (the light unit does not have the variable speed unit / light dimmer)

For now I'm good with the 8 bar but know I'll get another as I become more confident in the unit and my ability to use it.

I saved a little money by not gettting a pH probe as I already had 2 fairly new ones

In my futute I may get:
- an IO breaker box (there are some DIY units but parts are almost as much as buying one)
- another EB 8 (energy bar)
- maybe another probe unit

currently my 8 bar has:
-LED lights
-VHO Lights
-T5 lights
-Main return
-Skimmer
-heater
-Ca (timer and low tank pH only, not the Ca pH)
-Kalc dose

IO breaker box
I think this will be a great addition for me as I can add a couple inexpensive float switches and have them email me for low levels in the top off unit or high/low levels in the sump etc. I will probalby also add a leak detecor to my stand

second EB8
-temperature driven fan controls (right now they are on/off with lights)
-maybe the ATO but I like the idea of indepenence
-fuge lights
-second heater (maybe)
-Ozone (future)
-closed loop (future)

Probe Unit
Currently I am running a Milwalkee ORP / PH controller and may replace it. I am using it for my Ca reactor and may hook up my Ozone unit in the future. The base unit has the capability of two probes so it would work for the Ca reactor and save me on the Milwalkee. If I run Ozone I'll need the other probe unit

I love the graphs - I can overlay the lights, Kalc, Ca, etc to the pH swings, check trends and make adjustments

Thanks pete. That helps a lot.
Do you know if you can run multiples of this same probes? I was think a salinity one in the mixing water and one in the main tank. Would I need two of the extra probe units to run the probes?

@Drew wrote:
Thanks pete. That helps a lot. Do you know if you can run multiples of this same probes? I was think a salinity one in the mixing water and one in the main tank. Would I need two of the extra probe units to run the probes? said:
yes you can, they will be set up as unique numbers

Thanks.
So if I buy the full apex, I'll get the temp probe, and ph probe with the 8 switchable power strip.
Should I then buy the Probe module #2? And maybe a couple extra plug strips?

I recently got the I/O breakout box for mine. Still waiting to get float switches, but I will likely have the Apex handle my top-off once those come in. I'm also running out of plugs, so the extra power bar is probably a good idea.

Also, don't forget a wireless network (gaming) adapter. I'm still running a cable across the floor because I always seem to spend all my play money on other aquarium things before I remember I need one of those.

definetly get a wireless game adapter - you can pick one up at Walmart

the extra plug units are nice but you wont save any money buying one now or later, so unless you know right now that you need more then 8 controlled plugs, I'd hold off.

the base unit can do 2 pH or a pH and ORP, if you need more add a module

This won't help on the apex. But u could also get a powerline adapter for the Internet/Ethernet part. Generally more stable than wireless and if your tank is not near your router would give a stronger signal.

@Drew wrote:
Thanks. So if I buy the full apex said:
Drew the answer depends on what you want to control. You can expand to do almost anything that you want. I have mine controlling three tanks with two EB8 units and PM1 with the pH and temp probes. I would get the full system not the lite. Ron is the supper user and is the best example of just how flexible the Apex is.

Give me a call so that we can discuss further.

I really like my APEX. I got a DC4 power strip just to handle my MH/PC lights since they plug into an outlet over 6 feet from the controller so as not to have to run extension cords and give me more room on the DC8 for in tank items. Purchased a cable to run my Tunzes with variable output (can't do that with the Apex Light). I really like the idea of hitting the feed button and stopping the extra pumps, skimmer. Being able to monitor and control the tank from my Mac/PC or iPhone is very cool.

@PrestonTX wrote:
This won't help on the apex. But u could also get a powerline adapter for the Internet/Ethernet part. Generally more stable than wireless and if your tank is not near your router would give a stronger signal. said:
Power line adapter may not be the best since you cannot connect it to a ups.

I have had a couple of hiccups with mine, but the customer service at Neptune is really good and its really easy to expand it. Getting a break out box gives you the ability to use up to 6 switches and in my opinion, you are really missing out on a lot of basic capabilities if you dont get one. Because it has 4 0-10 Volt outputs, you can use them to run Tunze's and dimmable lighting and not tie up space on the EB8. It took me a little while to figure out the programing, but once you do, its really simple to make changes or additions.

@Servo wrote:
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/System__E_/system__e_.html said:
I did not see in the documentation where this unit connects to the internet like the Apex does. Did I miss something?

ProfiLux lead the way in quality, reliability and the very highest of grade parts including pretty much bullet proof probes, but its the vast functionality everyone talks about and how market leading ProfiLux is with keeping up with reefing technology such as LED control and providing everythign an LED diyer would need to have full system control access from ProfiLux. This may not be important now, but in 3-5 years, we may be all switching over to LED lighting with the improvement in the technology and associated costs.

The other important part to highlight is the huge amount of third party control options that work with ProfiLux, multiple companies allowing Profilux access to their system control features and others that GHL have engineered dedicated control options for. (Ecotech, Tunze, Hydor, Wingo LED, Aquarium Illuminations, Pacific Sun LED, Reef Republic LED, Eheim, TMC with many more to follow). There control features are specific to the products and not a plug and program like all other controllers. For example, with Tunze, you can utilize all of the options that their controllers come with, built into the Profilux module. This saves on the necessity of a multicontroller for example.

The ProfiLux has a built in web server with it's own browser. They are the only controller that offers this. Additionally, it has the ability to integrate into house automation, I believe it is the only controller on the market with the connection standard, but in the end, it all comes down to software. It is also the only controller with an SMS module. If your power goes out, the system is dead, however the SMS unit is a complete separate entity with its own battery back up, so if power fails the unit will still be able to inform you. Many tank installers get these as an absolute must for the systems they install. It runs off any active GSM cell phone sim card.

With the multiple interfaces and expandibilty, if you are a serious hobbiest in it for the long haul, there really is no other option.

@Servo wrote:
ProfiLux lead the way in quality said:
You have a profilux? I thought chris rush and I were the only ones had one. I definetly recommend profilux but people choke when they see the price

just following along, and I appreciate all the info your guys are putting out for us. I've been looking to get one but still doing research to see which is best so that I do a one-time buy. what is the cost of apex vs profilux? and has anyone else used both? comparisons? Thanks!

I just did not read far enough. This is a really impressive controller and you are right about the price. http://www.ghl-direct.com/ghl-controllers.php