Seeking Skimmer Reviews From Actual Experience

BlennyLover

Membership Expired
First ... I'm not interested in either of the Cad Lights PLS50 skimmers. Seen it first hand, not worth it IMO.

I have narrowed it down to two ...

IM Aqua Gadget Ghost (Mid Size) and Hydor Slim Skim

This is for my JBJ30RL and if any one has good or bad input (from experience) ... please post.

Thanks in advance for your help.

@BlennyLover wrote:
I'm going to add seeking review of the Tunze 9004 as well. said:
I was going to suggest looking at that one, too. I don't have any actual experience with it but when I was planning on setting up a 30g tank it was on the top of my list after all the research I did.

I had an RL30 up and running for about 18 months. I started with an AquaticLife 115, and it was just a toy. Better than nothing, but not what I would consider a real skimmer. I then replaced it with a PLS50, and that was better. It skimmed well, but needed to be re-tuned frequently (usually after dumping the cup) and it is sort of ugly sticking out of an AIO. Finally, I replaced that with a Tunze 9004. The Tunze pulled plenty of skimate, never needed to be tuned, and did not stick up out of the chamber, making it almost invisible. My only issue with the 9004 was that the magnates need to go on the side of the tank for optimal performance, which means through 2 pains of glass with space between them. They didn't hold very well, and the skimmer would often slide down when I was trying to put the skimate cup back in after dumping it. I always planned on building an egg crate stand under it but never got around to it before taking the tank down.

@Titus wrote:
I had an RL30 up and running for about 18 months. I started with an AquaticLife 115 said:
Is there a reason the method you mounted and/or is it the only install option to put the magnets on the *side* vs the back that only has the one piece of glass? One you tube video stated the *cup* was square (me not knowing, but assuming it can be turned for the surface skimming) ... if that is what you are referring to for best performance ???

And the one you have for sale is the reason I added it to my inquiry list [smilie=hi.gif]

@BlennyLover wrote:
[I]@Titus wrote:[/I][quote="I had an RL30 up and running for about 18 months. I started with an AquaticLife 115 said:
Is there a reason the method you mounted and/or is it the only install option to put the magnets on the *side* vs the back that only has the one piece of glass? One you tube video stated the *cup* was square (me not knowing, but assuming it can be turned for the surface skimming) ... if that is what you are referring to for best performance ???

And the one you have for sale is the reason I added it to my inquiry list [smilie=hi.gif]"]
While the skimmer cup is 3.5" x 3.5", The skimmer body is 3.5" x 4.3", with the cup all the way forward (offset from the magnets). The side compartments of the tank are about 4.5" square. When you have the skimmer mounted with the magnet on the back of the tank, , the front of the skimmer cup is only about .2" from the overflow, and the overflow tended to cause water to fall on top of the cup lid. By mounding it with the magnets on the side and it slid to the back half of the compartment, you then have .8" between the overflow wall and the skimmer... plenty of room for the water to pour into the compartment without splashing on top of the skimmer cup. I also wedged a piece of filter pad between the skimmer and overflow wall (just below the overflow) to reduce the noise of the water pouring in to the compartment.