Sea hare gone where???

I purchased a sea hare on the advice that it would take care of hair algae... which it did, except for one spot... Then it simply up and disappeared... I've pulled almost all my LR looking for it... No sign of it. Water params are good... I've been getting my trates down with water changes and a new mini fuge with some chaeto(sp?).

If it kicked, I must have the fast acting cleanup crew around... the only other possible things that I can guess are 1) it fell into my RBTA and it had a meal of a lifetime... 2) it fell on top of my bubble coral, and it did the same... 3) it burried itself in the sand just before dying... :?: :?: :?: There were no "splat" marks behind the tank, and my powerhead has a prefilter...

Ideas? Suggestions?

From what I understand they only have a life expectency of 3-4 mos. I had one, did a great job with algae. Night before it was out doing it's thing next deader than a door nail. Yuk, talk about nasty.

I did a water change last night and pulled all but my base rock... didn't find it at that point... Put the rock back... Started re-filling and noticed something move behind my fox coral... yep... there it was... d-e-a-d... and uglier than ever... What I'm confued about is something that big kicking and no visible amonia or trite spike! guess my system is in better shape than I thought. Only entertaining part was being litterally attacked by my percs while I was removing the rock...

if you want those to live long term you basically have to treat them like rentals. Use them to get your own algae problem under control and then give them to someone else with a problem or trade them in at the LFS. There are no supplements or food you can give them to keep them in a single system, they seem to only eat a naturally occuring algaes.

Really wished he'd finished the job. :?

I have a few patches of hair algae left, small spaces and short in length.

Back to the drawing board.

Bad luck with this kind of critter seems all to apparent with me... The nudibranch simply disappeared one night...

What would be the next option? My tank really isn't big enough for a tang...

Try out an emerald (mithrax) crab. I had some hair algae a while back and purchased 3 of them. Once acclimated, I placed them directly on the rock that needed the work and within 24 hours no more hair algae.

Also, how big is your tank? You might be able to get away with a small yellow tang and then trade or sell it once it outgrows your tank.

I have two emeralds who seem to be happy watching for bubble algae... I bought a lawmower blenny as my next to last resort... Tank is 46G Bowfront...

@opus18 wrote:
I have two emeralds who seem to be happy watching for bubble algae... I bought a lawmower blenny as my next to last resort... Tank is 46G Bowfront... said:
You could get a small yellow tank, he'll clean up the hair algae for you. The emerald crabs, well I think mine use to cultivate my bubble algae. Got myself a foxface, and he's seems to be making a dent. Just about got it cleaned up. If I had my choice I'd have the hair algae, at least it can be gotten rid of.

You might also try taking whatever snails or crabs you have and placing them directly on the rock with the problem. A lot of clean up crew creatures are opportunistic and will take care of whatever is right in front of them. Worth a try.

I got one from EA and have zero Hair algae in less than 2 weeks after battling it for months. I feed mine Nori now that hair is gone and have watched him chomp an entire sheet within ten minutes so I know they will eat Nori. Can go for days without seeing him.

@anthonyhicks101 wrote:
I got one from EA and have zero Hair algae in less than 2 weeks after battling it for months. I feed mine Nori now that hair is gone and have watched him chomp an entire sheet within ten minutes so I know they will eat Nori. Can go for days without seeing him. said:
One which? A lot of critters listed above... :)