Sapphire Nanoskimmers: reviews/opinions?

I have a BC14 and looking into getting one of these skimmers so if fits with the stock hood. Anyone have any experience with these or have one currently that can provide any feedback or reviews?

Also how high does the water level need to be in the back? just up to the pump or does the whole unit need to be submerged? I have never used a skimmer before but I am not happy with the water quality of my Biocube and have a pretty good bioload on it after about 7 months of starting it up. I use Purigen and occasionally black diamond carbon with the purigen.

I saw DNA had some of these skimmers in stock and almost picked one up today but wanted to see what you guys said first...

I used to have one for my BC24. It was ok. The cup filled up everyday on me. It was very watery and light brown in color.

so it was ok as in a good ok, bad ok, or ok ok?

what was the water level like in the chamber you had it in? would you recommend it??

thanks... any more people have any opinions on these? I will probably pick one up tomorrow morning when I get a chance just to try it out and see if it works for me...

well I purchased one yesterday from DNA and after some slight modifications with a dremel (taking off the back lip that comes over chamber 2) it slips right into that chamber. It doesnt sit very well up and down due to the slanted floor of chamber 2 but with some filter floss on one side it does sit straight up and down for the most part.

It released a ton of microbubbles for the first 12 hours or so but when the lights came on today they were all gone. I checked the collection cup and had about 1/4 full of light green water. I adjusted the collection cup to sit higher and will check it again tommorrow to see what the skim looks like and then maybe adjust the cup higher again.

It is pretty quiet as I cannot hear it but the water falling from chamber 1 is alot louder even when I have filter floss tucked inbetween the skimmer and the waterfall... sounds like a trickle coming from the tank in the living room.

@gavinvr4 wrote:
I also have BC14 and I've been looking at the sapphire aquatic skimmer. So where did you get it and how much? I notice at dallas north they have several prices between Nano and BC said:
I bought the one that said nc12 on it. It was 115 or so plus you get a 10% discount for being a dfwmas member.

I assume the Nano and BC versions are exactly the same as the box has a label on it that was checked saying BC14 and NC12

you do have to cut that lip off the second chamber so be ready to use a dremel or some really sharp cutters of some kind...

the skimmate is still a green watery mixture but seems to be less water this time. guess I need to keep moving the cup up... I really want to see some darker material!