Sand bed swapping

Hookem2006

Premium Member
So, I recently upgraded the flow in my tank and now all my sand blows around. Since I have never liked the small grain size to begin with, this seems like a good chance to swap it out. I have a 75 gallon that has been running since the end of November(most stuff was transferred from a 11 month old 28g nano). I don't think the sand is super established so I wouldn't think it would nuke the tank.

My questions are:
1) should I just pull in all out at once or slowly?
2) if I pull it slowly, should just keep it bare until I am ready to put all new sand it?
3) any good recommendations on medium grained sand?

Thanks for the input y'all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had a similar issue with the fine Marco sand that I started my tank with and I ended up switching over to Tropic Eden Reef Flakes from Premium Aquatics. I do not regret it one bit. I made the change over a period of about a month, doing 1/4 of the tank at a time each weekend. As part of my weekend water changes, I would use the wet-dry vac to pull up an area of old sand. I ended up leaving a little of the marco (maybe a 1/2") but vacuumed up the rest, and then poured the new Tropic Eden on top.

How deep is the sand bed?

If it is pretty shallow I would think you could swap out large portions or all of it at once if you are siphoning the stuff out and then replacing with new sand and NSW. I haven't done this myself so I'd wait until someone who has had experience comment in case I am wrong.

Another vote for Tropic Eden Reeflakes. Definitely worth the added cost IMO and I will not go back to another type of sand.

The sand is maybe 1.5 deep in some spots. Anywhere to pick up reef flakes locally?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD