Saltwater One Year Anniversary!

Well, I took a look back at when I got my first saltwater tank and, as of today, it has been exactly one year! I started out with a 70g FO system with a wet/dry and normal output lighting. Over this past year, I've converted it to a full blown mixed reef with everything from zoos to acros. My intention was to start with a smaller system and learn the ropes before going bigger and to decide if this was for me. I'm glad I did. I have made a ton of mistakes along the way, flooded the house 9 times (the wife knows about 6 of those) and went through 4 different types of lighting.

This past year has also given me a chance to make new friends in this community of ours and also convince the wife that I should have a bigger tank. It is always helpful to point to those massive tank build threads and say, "See, I just want a little 260 gallon. Look at all those crazy people with dedicated fish rooms and 400+ gallon systems." To that end, I will be starting a build thread soon for the new tank that I hope to put a deposit down on today. I just have to finish a flooring project that was part of my stipulations for getting the new tank.

I've spent countless hours researching anything and everything I could learn, and continue to do so. Learning new things and working on maintaining my systems have been very rewarding when I see small frags develop into full blow colonies that I have to prune back. This is despite all the mistakes I've made along the way and I'm sure I'll make more mistakes. Hopefully, I've got enough of a knowledge base to do this next build right or at least get it going in the right direction! A lot of folks here have helped me out, answered my newbie questions, and gave me assistance along the way. This probably, no, most definitely, would have been a major FAIL if it weren't for the help and advice I've received here so I try to contribute back where I can. So, on this first year anniversary of my new hobby and addiction, I just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU!!! to the folks of DFWMAS.

Now back to ripping out carpet and padding . . . [smilie=dull.gif]

That is exactly what is going on. We've done the other rooms in the house, now I just have to get the family room done. Makes sense with the two dogs we have too. Carpet is up, now time to remove the funky padding and carpet tacks . . .

Depends on the room. We're actually doing paint with a sealer. That helped a lot with minor imperfections and patching. Some of the rooms required some major power sanding to smooth out though and to strip away glue, paint, etc. Other rooms were easier and just required patching the nail pops.

Next time I swing by I will have to check out those floors. Have been curious how they look and handle wear and tear, seems almost too easy to paint the concrete.

I guess i sort of have an idea, i used epoxy-coat to do my garage floors when I moved in. Love that stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar idea Joe. The floors in the room with the tank and across the way (formal living room) that you saw were done in the same way. I have to figure out something to do about getting the molding along the walls to match-up with the floor though. We may go with the ceramic tile that looks like wood. If we do that, I think I can just install that right over the painted floors.

The floors are canine biological process proof, saltwater proof, alkalinity supplement, calcium supplement, and magnesium supplement proof too. [smilie=wink.gif]

Congrat's on the tank anniversary and glad I finally got to meet you in person. [smilie=smile.gif] The floor project sound's cool.

Cheers,