Royal gramma white speck on transparent fins

Oscarmk

Premium Member
I've had my royal gramma for 3 years, ever since I got him I remember ocasionally seeing a white speck on his transparent fins, it doesn't exactly look bumpy more like a speck that joins 2 of the fins mmm flexible bones?, you know the kinda paralel lines joined by the transpared fins. Today I noticed on very close inspection you can see 3 of them on his tail fin, they are kinda hard to see, mostly only when the light hits it right. I also once noticed one of them in the flame angel 5 months ago, more like a small white line than a dot, and not really bumpy. Those are the only ones I've noticed, I have 8 fish. I am really just wondering what this is, since they have never behaved odly, and the royal gramma has had these specks come and go for 3 years. The spots don't show on a photo unfortunately, tried several times. They are always on the transparent fins and nowhere else, and they just go away on its own, usually there is only a single one or most often none at all, the royal gramma is in direct contact with rocks all the time in his cave, is it possible they are slightly damaged fins or small pieces of rock dust that get attached ocasionally?. Other than that the royal gramma looks perfect, perfect colors, fins and behavior.

I am not worried, but rather curious as to why this is, and why I have never been able to find anything online about this.

Well he still has the same spots, upon closer inspection he has at least 10 between the find and tail, they are visible only under certain angles. The spots have been there in the same spot for over a month and they don't grow, multiply or dissapear, the other fish don't have them. I would say its ich, but it has not fallen off in over a month now.

He still has the exact same white specks, for at least 2 months now, although I know he had at least a couple that have never changed for a couple of years now. It is hard to tell if they are raised or not, but it seems like they aren't. He just seems to have more now than a couple of years ago. Nothing has changed with him or the other 7 fish, I read that it could be small fractures on the fin rays or that it is just the light reflecting off the fin "knuckles".