Rotifers and BBS Poll

rcklbs

Membership Expired
How often can you feed your tank these 2 live foods? Is there a risk of to much?What percentage of people use these live foods?

Rick

other - phyto, live feeder prawns.... i have not tried rotifers yet.

wema: You said "have" does this mean you no longer use live foods? I am curious how often you should feed live food is everyday good or bad? The number of rotifers and bbs that are produced create a cloud when put in tank but the reaction of the fish and some coral is amazing to watch.

i just do not do it as often, live stuff is hard to keep up with, and i do not have the time to take care of it.

Brine i said because i can get it at a LFS close by fairly cheap, but it only keeps a couple days. When i get it, i use it every day until it is gone, it is more of a treat i guess, give them something different.

Phyto is really what i should use more of, but i am out on that. Everyday on phyto is not bad, and i am sure some do it. When i have it i normally did it every other day.

Right now i am using Reef Nutritions food for my corals and i use a mixture of frozen brine and mysis for the fish and nems.

The only issue with any food, every day, is to control quantity so you do not get an algae bloom. If your tank can not handle alot, dont feed alot.

I feed most of what is on your list. But I do not add it to the tank myself. It all comes from the system itself. Especially with a good refugium running inline.

@WeMa wrote:
Phyto is really what i should use more of said:
Anyone can PM anyone that sells something to request if any more is available. If you've purchased from someone in the past, there is nothing wrong with handling that again and again behind the scenes.

I grow baby brine shrimp when I'm in the mood. For the past few weeks, I culture 1/2 tsp of eggs daily for my anthias and mandarin to consume.

Occasionally I'll dose phyto directly to my refugium. It is so rare that my 2g jug of Phyto just bubbles away for a month or two before I'll split it again for a fresh batch. Gotta love crash-proof phyto. :nod:

Rick:I feed most of what is on your list. But I do not add it to the tank myself. It all comes from the system itself. Especially with a good refugium running inline. I am aware that with a refugium you produce copepods but did not know it would also produce Baby Brine Shrimp and Rotifers am I wasting my time culturing these?

Mark: Occasionally I'll dose phyto directly to my refugium. It is so rare that my 2g jug of Phyto just bubbles away for a month or two before I'll split it again for a fresh batch. Gotta love crash-proof phyto.

I have read your new method of culturing Phyto very interesting. I am basically following your first method ( the one before the guy from DT's got ya messed up :cry: ) I have split it 3 times so far and no issues yet
I used the Florida Aqua Farms disk and use the miracle algea fertilizer. I was curious what part of your new Phyto method do you feel makes it crash proof? Also I have found your Photoshop tips very usefull thanks for all the information you are willing to share with everyone I am sure you have saved me countless hours of frustration and repatition by sharing the things that work and those that don't. Thanks for all your efforts! :D
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond to the poll. I was surprised at the pct. of people who do not use some type of live food for thier tanks. The visual reaction of the corals and fish is truly amazing to witness. I will try to get some comparision photos to try and capture the remarkable change that happens almost immediatly after feeding these foods.

I voted none, but I'm with Rick on this one. My tank provides the live food, I feed nori and frozen goodies.

I used to dose phyto, but stopped in the interest of keeping phosphate as low as possible. I may take a shot at raising rotifers one of these days..I'm sure my corals would love it.

@rcklbs wrote:
I have read your new method of culturing Phyto very interesting. I am basically following your first method ( the one before the guy from DT's got ya messed up :cry: ) I have split it 3 times so far and no issues yet I used the Florida Aqua Farms disk and use the miracle algea fertilizer. I was curious what part of your new Phyto method do you feel makes it crash proof? Also I have found your Photoshop tips very usefull thanks for all the information you are willing to share with everyone I am sure you have saved me countless hours of frustration and repatition by sharing the things that work and those that don't. Thanks for all your efforts! :D said:
I've had the same jug of Phyto bubbling away for over 2 months. It really needs to be split, but I still have almost 2 bottles of phyto in the fridge, so I don't need to split the culture yet.

With the original recipe from FAF and Flame*Angel's site, it would crash within 5 to 7 days for me. It was very frustrating, but this recipe doesn't. If too much water evaporates, I add more to the jug just to keep it happy.

Glad my site is helping you. It is a constant work in progress.