rodi storage help

natas

Membership Expired
Ok so I am sure this has happened to others. I am prone to starting rodi water and forgetting. So I did it today and had a small amount of water on the floor. No damage but a very annoyed wife.

So I wanna have a way to store water that is simple and on demand. I was thinking I could get one of those pressurized tanks that they use for drinking water but storing my rodi in it. I have read conflicting stories on this. I like this idea because the water will come out fairly quick and not require me to hang anything up. My other idea is to make a storage contAiner with a float switch on the top and a outlet on the bottom. The issue here is it will need to be elevated so I cancelled drain the water into my mixing bucket. I am limited on my space here so if I do any of the above it will need to be in the 5 to 10 gallon range. I have no issue with going back a few hours later to get more water for mixing.

Any suggestions?

Some people use these:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reverse-osmosis-float-valve.html?gclid=CITEhMjo1rsCFeJF7AodLQYAuw

I have used them in the past with success but usually plan a solenoid in there for a fail safe- but then again I allowed it to fill up while I wasn't home so I was worried about coming home to a huge mess. If I was just filling it up while at home, the float valve would do it. I bought one that had a mounting bracket so it fit on the side of the bucket.

In the meantime, until you get a more permanent solution... you can always set a timer on your cell phone as a reminder to go check the water level.... has saved my butt numerous times.

That's the problem. I set the timer on my phone every time butthis instance I didn't hear or feel it go off in my pocket. Any ideas on storage tank around 5 to 10 gallons that I could add the float valve on? Or would one of those pressurized tanks be fine?

I use a mechanical lawn sprinkler timer. I run my ro/di off my washer cold water outlet I put a Y one goes to ro/di the other to washer.

ty2a2ehu.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@natas wrote:
That's the problem. I set the timer on my phone every time butthis instance I didn't hear or feel it go off in my pocket. Any ideas on storage tank around 5 to 10 gallons that I could add the float valve on? Or would one of those pressurized tanks be fine? said:
You can add a float valve to just about anything. You can get a water storage container from TractorSupply or even use a RubberMaid container with a lid from WalMart. Just drill a hole the diameter of the threaded post and remember to put the rubber washer on the inside (wet side). Make sure your system has an auto shut off valve installed on it. If it doesnt, the float valve will shut off the flow to the container, but the waste water will continue to run.

Pampee had an awesome idea. You can get storage containers from northern equipment and tool in any size. We have a float valve at the top of the container so that the rodi stops when it is full.

Are you talking about northern tool + equipment store? Smallest they have is 20 gallons

@natas wrote:
Are you talking about northern tool + equipment store? Smallest they have is 20 gallons said:
Yes. I was talking about northern equipment and tool. I didn't look at smaller ones. Ours hold 150 gallons each (we have one for fresh water & one for saltwater).

I use a 30 gallon Rubbermaid trashcan from Home Depot with the float valve linked about I got from melevsreef.com and it works perfectly. I overran my water by about 8 hours just this last week and not a single drop overflowed. If you can't use the timer idea then this is the next best solution IMO.

This is also a good solution thought more expensive. I don't have room for a big container. My wife "tolerates" the 5 gal container. Our laundry room is soooo small. We had to stack the washer and dryer just so they would fit. You would think a 2600sq ft house would have a bigger laundry room. Our first home was only 1500sq ft and the laudry room was 3 times bigger than our current one.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/leak-controller-detector-for-ro-di-systems.html

I have mine hooked up in the garage via saddle tap on the feed line to the hot water heater. Waste water goes out the hot water heater emergency drain line that runs outside.