Rio 2500 as a return pump on 10 gallon sump

vinaythomas

Premium Member
Hi ,
I am looking to setup a 10 gallon sump for my 20 gallon tall nano reef.

I have a CPR overflow rated for 600 GPH

I have ordered the Rio 2500+
and plan to use it with a T back to the sump with a ball valve controlling the flow back and to the tank.

Would that be good?

And to prevent reverse siphon( during power off), do you drill a hole below the water line in the DT?

I also plan to use 3/4" piping and not go for a 1" return line like the Standpipe which is 1", should that be fine?

Thanks
Vinay

The rio would probably be way too big for that size tank. I dont think you will want that much flow thru a 20 gallon tank. that pump is rated for 748gph. At that rate of flow in a 20 gal you be blowing water out of the tank. you might look for something in the 100 gph or so. You just want it to circulate the water from tank to sump, then use powerheads for more flow inside the tank....Im sure someone knows the formula for the how many times per hour to turn the water over...slips my mind currently. Dont know about the other pump

Hi,
Thanks for the reply but since I am using this as a return pump how would 100 gph do? Maybe you missed that this was a return pump.

I will be glad if 100 gph is all I need for a return pump.

Regards
Vinay

I was just saying that 748 gph is way too much for a return pump on a 20 gallon tank....thats what is use on my 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump/refugium. So im pretty sure it would be way too much for your tank.

Hi,
I agree with you but I will limit the flow using a T back to the sump ( Good idea perhaps??). I am planning to upgrade to a 75 gallon in a few months so this is kind of for the future.

I did not want to get a mag 3 or 5 and then try and upgrade later.

My concern was about using the Rio 2500 as a return pump thats all.

I have made that choice so hopefully it is not a bad one.

Thanks again.
Vinay

@vinaythomas wrote:
Hi said:
Nothing wrong with the pump at all.....i was just concerned with how much flow it has. You could T it back or use a ball valve to throttle it back. Dont know if it would heat your water too much...i forget the wattage of hand. Its a fairly large and tall pump though for a 10 gallon sump....might be ok. Just have to try it since you have it already

I would personally never use a Rio pump on any of my tanks however..... your plan will work as far as teeing back into the return section. Over 700GHP is a bit much for that size tank/sump, I see a microbubble issue waiting to happen among other issues. I would find a used mag3 or a smaller used quiet one pump for this tank, you can alway's use it later for making saltwater or as an emergency backup. A mag7 or mag9 is a better choice quality wise than the Rio, with my recommendation being a Eheim 1260 for your future tank. These pumps cost a little more but are very strong, quiet and run forever. :)

Cheers,

There is nothing wrong with the newer rio pumps. Those were older pumps that had issues and the new ones are completely sealed and dont have oil in them. Time for that rummor to be put rest.

@Saltpro wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the newer rio pumps. Those were older pumps that had issues and the new ones are completely sealed and dont have oil in them. Time for that rummor to be put rest. said:
Trust your tank to them....I'll roll with Eheim pumps. It's not a rumor, saltwater and those pumps are a terrible mix...... I prefer to sleep at night and not wonder if they truely corrected their issues. You see no serious reefers with these pumps for a reason. :)

Cheers,

Hi Guys,
Thanks very much for the input. I am a bit unsure but hope it does not fail on me and I upgrade my current setup soon.

I think the newer RIO pumps should be good too. Its about time they sorted that out if it is still the case.

Till then, I should hope to tee it off and see how that goes. I will be sure to update this post..

Regards
Vinay

@bimmerzs wrote:
[I]@Saltpro wrote:[/I][quote="There is nothing wrong with the newer rio pumps. Those were older pumps that had issues and the new ones are completely sealed and dont have oil in them. Time for that rummor to be put rest. said:
Trust your tank to them....I'll roll with Eheim pumps. It's not a rumor, saltwater and those pumps are a terrible mix...... I prefer to sleep at night and not wonder if they truely corrected their issues. You see no serious reefers with these pumps for a reason. :)

Cheers,"]

Thats fine, you spend your money and i will spend mine. Thats very old on the rio pumps. I know its hard for some people not to belelieve everything they read on forums. Well i see quite a few serious reefers using them and some not. I'm pretty sure i have been a serious reefer for the last 28 years and i sleep very well at night. Thanks for your comments

@Saltpro wrote:
[I]@bimmerzs wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@Saltpro wrote:[/I][quote="There is nothing wrong with the newer rio pumps. Those were older pumps that had issues and the new ones are completely sealed and dont have oil in them. Time for that rummor to be put rest. said:

Cheers,"]

Thats fine, you spend your money and i will spend mine. Thats very old on the rio pumps. I know its hard for some people not to belelieve everything they read on forums. Well i see quite a few serious reefers using them and some not. I'm pretty sure i have been a serious reefer for the last 28 years and i sleep very well at night. Thanks for your comments"]

I'm entitled to my opinion as are you...I also like to spend my money once on quality products that last for years and years without issues. I really would like to see a 6 or 7 yr old Rio return pump that's still going. Their polario(sp?) is good, some of their powerheads are good but the returns are still known for leaking current and being weak against head pressure. One would think you would have paid attention to <u>all </u> of the inherent risk's and not just the pricepoint of the equipment used to sustain your tank's but as you alluded to.......to each it's own. :D

Cheers,

well your right to each his own. I know you like to argue i have seen your posts. Also if you like to spend thousands on equipment for a 30 gallon tank thats great too...lol. I just investigate on my own and dont fall for all the hype about the latest equipment. I just get what works and what i need. So far that has worked for me and thats my opinion. At the same time i dont rag on the persons equipment that is asking a question like you did. I simply said his pump was fine then you start your opinion that added nothing but garbage

cheers

@Saltpro wrote:
well your right to each his own. I know you like to argue i have seen your posts. Also if you like to spend thousands on equipment for a 30 gallon tank thats great too...lol. I just investigate on my own and dont fall for all the hype about the latest equipment. I just get what works and what i need. So far that has worked for me and thats my opinion. At the same time i dont rag on the persons equipment that is asking a question like you did. I simply said his pump was fine then you start your opinion that added nothing but garbage cheers said:
You do not know me and I don't know you. I do know that trying to interpret one thoughts and feelings through a keyboard is a pretty difficult thing to do but....perhaps you have mastered that feat as well. I did not direct any comment at you, I gave my opinion to the OP. I certainly did not "rag" on his equipment as you stated, if you feel that your pump of choice is a better quality than another persons pump of choice, then I say good for you and that goes across the board for any equipment. I have spent a lot of money trying to go the cheap route and quickly realized that for me , it's better to buy the highest quality equipment that I can afford for the job at hand. I also take various opinions into account and factor that in along with my research, this helps me make informed decision in every aspect of this expensive hobby. Maybe that 30G tank need's thousands of dollars worth of equipment, maybe not...all depends on your needs and goal's. How about you just dropping it dude.

Cheers,

The Rio 2100 and 2500 are known tank killers. Not a good choice, and especially not for a smaller sump.

You don't have to regret your purchase though; use it to mix saltwater and to pump water into your tank during water changes. But don't trust it to your system as a return pump. Better to use something else. Mag pumps were good ones for years, but their warranty is only a year. The new Maxijet Utility pumps are good, use little power, and have a three year warranty. Eheim has a great reputation.

we were talking about the newer plus versions not the old ones. Buy one and check them out there fine and totally sealed with epoxy.

Still much too big a return pump for a 10g sump.

Hi Guys,
I am going with the setup for now. I hope it is not a disaster. I have t-eed the output and am going to test it out this weekend.

Will let you know of the results.

Thanks very much for the input and advice. I will upgrade to a Mag 9.5 for my next project, thats for sure but for now, I am going to take this risk and hope the product is not bad after all this time.

Regards
Vinay

All you need is a pump that moves 200gph. The overflow box can handle up to 600gph, but 300gph is fine. The issue isn't your pump choice at this point, it is that the sump is too small to have water drain at 500 gph (est. ) and return from. You'll see a lot of microbubbles because the flow is so great.

When I had my 29g running, I had a 14g sump and a Mag 5 return. It moved about 300gph and because of the sump's design, microbubbles weren't an issue at all. You can see it on my site if you want to see the configuration. Just click on My Tanks, and then 29g Sump.