return pump

Would a mag 9.5 be ok for a return pump on a rr 58 gallon tank? I'm going to have 2 korilia (sp) 4's also in the tank for water movement. The only thing I'm going to keep in the tank is softies.

Yes, it will be fine. Be sure to use 1.5" plumbing on that pump, or at the very least 1" plumbing. We used that pump on the 90g prop tank at Next Wave and had very nice flow.

mag95_in_sump.jpg
alt="">

Marc, Thanks so much for your helpful info. I printed out a picture of this so my wife can go into the store and let people know what exactly she's looking for.

nothing against Marc, i am surprised he would say that a mag 9 would be fine on a 58g softie tank from everything i have ever read he is a firm believer in 3 to 5 times turn over rate and to get your other flow from power heads. but what do i know imo i like to have more from the main return i had a mag 7 on my 45g and if my sump wasnt full at all times i would get microbubbles i have a mag 12 on my 100g with no microbubble problems imo i think the sump design is important on if it will get bubble with a lot of flow

oh i have a korilia 4 im my 100g and almost feel it is too much i have to have it at the very top with the flow thingy on it or it blows my sand all around to much, maybe its my sand? i have 90% pulverized limestone.

if u were going to go buy a new pump then u could always maybe find someone u can use theres to test it out before droping money on something --good luck

@the floor guy wrote:
3 to 5 times turn over rate and to get your other flow from power heads. said:
Those numbers are minimums in my opinion... some folks like more, some less. The poster was asking if the 9.5 would be okay, its more than he really needs, but there is nothing wrong with it. I'd rather have a bigger pump than too little as long as his overflow can keep up, he should be fine.

@DaveJ wrote:
Those numbers are minimums in my opinion... some folks like more said:
ya i feels the same with the min, i myself like more but there is a line where u can have too much and get bubbles or even your drain not able to handle it. and his sump will play a roll in it all to. i was just giving my opinion. A mag 9 might be to much and if i were buying new i would want to try it before i bought it. A mag 7 might be better imo and thats depending on head loss will still be 10times turn over which is way way over what i see "most" and have been personaly been recommended to me my most.

@the floor guy wrote:
[I]@DaveJ wrote:[/I][quote="Those numbers are minimums in my opinion... some folks like more said:
ya i feels the same with the min, i myself like more but there is a line where u can have too much and get bubbles or even your drain not able to handle it. and his sump will play a roll in it all to. i was just giving my opinion. A mag 9 might be to much and if i were buying new i would want to try it before i bought it. A mag 7 might be better imo and thats depending on head loss will still be 10times turn over which is way way over what i see "most" and have been personaly been recommended to me my most."]

Yup, either way works in the end so long as he doesn't overflow his tank. I'd actually recommend a eheim or quietone pump. Just my prejudice against mags due to start/stop and heat issues with 5s and 7's in the past. I have a 9.5 in my 90 now and had one on my 140 before without mishap though. Plenty of options....

Hi,

The major thing I would worry about is the amount of heat that the mag 9 puts out. I tried one on my 58G and my temp increased a couple of degrees.....I also had to route some of the water back to the sump because my drain could'nt keep up. With my setup at that time, I wound up downgraded to a mag 7 and it solved these issues for me. Each setup is different however, so it could be just what your setup needs. :)

Cheers,

my original plan was a mag 7. I just didn't think it would do the trick at 4' of head. I'm going to give that one a try. If it doesn't work I can always put it in my pond outside.

I was going with 2 #3 Korila's or 2 #4's for extra flow in the tank.

Thanks for all the input you've helped alot.