Retun Pump Short Circuiting System

sherby98

Premium Member
I have tired three separate return pumps and they are all doing the same thing. Once it gets plugged in it trips the CGFI and the entire system shuts down. I can plug it into an outlet across the house on a different circuit and it will do the same thing. I am running everything off an APEX with a second EB8...got no clue. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike.

When you say you plug it in across the house on a different circuit, are you talking about plugging in the pumps directly to the outlet, or did you move the EB8? If it's the EB8 have you tried different outlets on that?

what is happening is the startup amp draw is too much for the sensitive gfci. Try replacing it with a 20 amp gfci.

OHM out the two leads of the connector then take your meter and with one lead connected to plug start probing around the unit body you should NOT get a reading...if you do that is bad.

I would consider swapping the gfci for another of the same size and hoping you have a sensitive one now. Assuming your wiring and breaker is rated for 15 A I don't think putting a 20 A gfci would meet code.