Retro fit LED's to Biocube 29

I am about to upgrade the lights in my Biocube 29 and I wanted to get some advice/suggestions. Here are the kits I am looking at.

http://www.rapidled.com/coralife-biocube-29-dimmable-retrofit-kit-24-led/

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Biocube-29-LED-Light-System-Extreme-SPS-BC29RF.htm

I think I am going to go with the kit from Rapid. I like it because it is cheaper than than unit from Steve's and it will integrate to my Apex Jr. with the addition of the VDM.

I like the kit from Steve's because it has two more LEDs and I think the typhoon controller and driver set-up is better (I don't think the Rapid kit will turn all the way off when set to zero from what I have heard)

I am wanting to go full spectrum and I want to set up a schedule to do Sunrise/Sunset function. To do this I am thinking about the following set-up:

Channel 1: 2 UV, 1 red, 1 green, 2 cyan
Channel 2: 8 cool white
Channel 3: 10 royal blue

I am wondering about having a mix of blue and royal blue and possibly adding some red-orange LEDs into a fourth channel for the Sunrise/Sunset feature.

Should I mix the blues or possibly white channel also?

Since I am limited on the amount of LEDs I can use, should I avoid using the fourth channel for the red-orange ones? This is a feature I could live without, but would like to have.

Should I just go with the Steve's LED kit and use the Typhoon controller and bypass the Apex unit?

Thanks for the advice!

I have seen your build thread. They look pretty good, but what do you recommend for the lighting spectrum?

Also, would you use the existing Apex Jr, or use a stand-alone typhoon controller?

If you have vdm ports use them. If not get a stand alone. I like 2/3 blues and colors 1/3 whites.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

@notjohnconner wrote:
I think I am going to go with the kit from Rapid. I like it because it is cheaper than than unit from Steve's and it will integrate to my Apex Jr. with the addition of the VDM. I like the kit from Steve's because it has two more LEDs and I think the typhoon controller and driver set-up is better (I don't think the Rapid kit will turn all the way off when set to zero from what I have heard) said:
I have a setup in my BC 14 that's a mix of the Rapid and Steve's. The LEDs came from Steve, the rest from Rapid. I've talked to several people who's LEDs don't seem to turn all the way off even when the VDM is sending 0v, however mine do. Once the VDM gets below about 10%, the lights are off. The power cords for my Meanwell drivers are connected to a surge protector and are never powered off, which is great since I also have the Apex Jr and didn't want to use the power outlets.

@notjohnconner wrote:
I'd probably just go with the setup you have listed above. I only have RB and CW on mine and wish I had the other colors on a separate channel like that. I just haven't bothered to add them yet since I'm planning on upgrading to a larger tank.

I've got a Steves LED set up run it only blue and white
Note I run at less then 75% on both channels with awesome growth including two clams that started at 1 1/2" and have grown 1/4-12" in two months. All SPS does fine even 10" deep. Only downside is all my glove and clove coral needed to be shaded a bit. Your welcome to come see it person

@dallasflyfisher wrote:
I've got a Steves LED set up run it only blue and white Note I run at less then 75% on both channels with awesome growth including two clams that started at 1 1/2" and have grown 1/4-12" in two months. All SPS does fine even 10" deep. Only downside is all my glove and clove coral needed to be shaded a bit. Your welcome to come see it person said:
Do you have a controller on the lights, or are you just using knobs to control the brightness?

Also do you wish you would have got a different color combination?

I have Steve's controller and knobs it's awesome I set LED then use knobs for acclimation process i'll actually be selling the tank early next week along with a bunch of SPS and leathers

So I put the order in Monday afternoon and this will be my layout:

JIopZ2Z.png
alt="">

I am open if anybody has any suggestions.

Once I get the parts in I might post a DIY how to if anybody is interested.