replacing rock

MarcoG

Membership Expired
I'm thinking about getting rid of my GSP rocks completely. The only problem is that it is on about 1/3 (lb wise) of the rock I have in my DT. If I take it out and replace it with dry dead rock, such as BRS "eco" rock or MarcoRock, what will my tank go through? Am I correct in assuming that there won't be a cycle since there wouldn't be any die-off. Will my tank experience anything negative??? I also have A LOT of rubble in my sump.

if you have a lot of rock already in the sump there will be no problem. Or why don't you replace 1/3rd at a time, one week apart? So in 3 weeks time you wount have gsp and no nutrient build up...

Adding new dry base rock won't hurt your tank assuming it's safe rock without some strange surprises emanating from it. YOu won't have a cycle, but the water could get cloudy if stuff (dust) comes out. Rinsing it or presoaking it in RO water or saltwater would be ideal.

Remember that it take a very long time for base rock to become beneficially "live".

Thanks for the input guys! I just ordered 15 lbs of Eco Dry Rock from BRS because I got a promo code and saved some $ with my BRS points. I think I'll do a combination of both suggestions

Thanks!

p.s. where are the LED par readings Tito?

@MarcoG wrote:
Thanks for the input guys! I just ordered 15 lbs of Eco Dry Rock from BRS because I got a promo code and saved some $ with my BRS points. I think I'll do a combination of both suggestions Thanks! p.s. where are the LED par readings Tito? said:
Just got 55 pounds of that rock a few days ago and it looks great.

I had the same issue a while back and traded in the rocks for other live rock at my local LFS. That GSP is nasty, pernicious stuff.

That's funny Marc [smilie=lol.gif] . Bust out the Dictionary people. I know I had to. Keep um' coming !! [smilie=rofl.gif] [smilie=rofl.gif] .

$20 word for a worthless coral, I know. But it sure does fit. Frogspawn was the only thing I had that kept that stuff in check - it grew right over acros and anything else in its way.

I got my eco rocks in and they look great!!! They are sitting in some spare water except for a couple that are in my sump. I'm waiting until I get my new frag tank setup

[attachment=0]uploadfromtaptalk1301585580441.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk