Replacing evaporated water question

Ok so from all my reading on here I know to just use ro/di for evaporation replacement. I have my replacement water at the same temp as my tank but had a question about adding it. Is there a best way to do it or just pour it in slowly?? Couldnt find a specific answer on here about this. thanks in advance for any advice. :D

Usually slowly so you don't vary the SG all that quickly. I try to drizzle it into the filters return flow so it mixes faster. Don't know if it makes that much difference, but perception is reality and mixing faster seems better to me.

If you have a sump, pour it in the sump and let it mix there.

For evaporated water I drip RO/DI in from an airline tube with an air valve on the end and place the container on top of my canopy and just use gravity. Get a clip to clip it on both ends. Plumb it to the overflow or sump so it can mix and warm up if needed.
Only if you are doing a water change does the water need to be the same temperature, salinity, pH, Alk... With a water change I remove 5 gallons of old water and replace it with 5 gallons that has be circulated with a pump and heated to tank temp over night and the next morning I test the water for pH, and such.

I do mine a little different, i keep all my water jugs @ 1.018-1.020 (2 cups of red sea coral pro per 5 gal. jug----i add the salt before i go to the lfs and buy the ro water) the tank stays at 1.024. I use the jugs for water changes and top offs. Just the way i do it---seems easier and works for me, granted my tanks only 34 gals.

Rob,

Watch out if you are topping off with water that has salt added. If so, you are slowly raising the salinity of your tank.

Top-off water should be ro/di water only
Water change water should be ro/di water with salt added to match your tank parms.

Been doing it this way for almost a year now and it always ends up the same---1.024. Don't know why but, it works for me :wink:

might be cuz of the small tank?---don't know? changed water out 1 hr ago-tank was reading 1.024---changed out 5gals. now reads 1.024. the 5gals was reading 1.018, just happens all the time--and yes i use a refratometer. :wink:

When was the last time it was calibrated? I know I was reading another post talking about the calibration being done at 0 and also at 35. I have never used one so I do not know what was meant by it but I do know that salt does not evaporate and the water will so I would think it would go up as you add more salt to it IMHO.

I take it 2 the lfs and check it with their ro water----reads right + i have a submergeable one i double check with. like i said--it's just my way of doing it, everyone has there own way, thought i'd share mine.

I am just not seeing how it works unless you are having a leak. You are adding more and more salt without taking any out. If you are not topping off with plain water you are just adding more salt water to the water. Think of it this way if you drink. You make a scotch and water, drink half and fill more scotch and drink half and fill more scotch before long you are going to have more scotch than you are water and that is the same with the salt water. I know I have not been in the SW side of the house but for a short time but I do understand about evaporation. Not wanting to argue but I would hate to see something happen to having too much salinity in your water. Here is a link to the post talking about calibration of the refract.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=42212&highlight=refrac+calibration

@robsrsm wrote:
I do mine a little different said:
This cannot possibly work. I mean, CANNOT! You cannot top off with saltwater and your salinity stay constant. I wonder if your refractometer is inaccurate. Common sense says it's impossible.

You can also slowly drip your RO/DI water mixed with calcium hydroxide (Kalk) for added benefits to your tank. Do a search on this forum and the web and you'll find out plenty. As stated before, do not add salt to your topoff water.

There has been some discussion that if water is added to the salt then it sometimes crystalizes and when he adds the water at first it may be 1.018 but when he finishes and the crystals disolve it may be 1.030 coming out.
Could be why, just a guess!
I've always been told not to add the water to the salt. Add salt to the water and it mixes better. Well, it couldn't hurt so I do it that way.

ALSO

You are supposed to add salt to the water , not the other way around as adding water to salt can cause things like calcium to precipitate out ( take your calcium right out of the mix) , sorta like adding water to acid, don't do it, add acid to water.

Wow :shock: , I'm sorry i brought it up, but i've taken water samples to 2 different lfs- used different ways of testing the sg-- i thought the same thing at first, but it has been working 4 me for almost a year and nothing of real value has died---just normal crap ie. snails, 2 shrimps (think they got the crabs)-and 1 fish. Maybe cuz i change out 5gals every monday @ 1.018? dont know IT'S JUST MY WAY. :D. Plus i add tiny bubbles 2 ea. jug for a day 2 desolve the crystals. I tried the other way around(adding salt 2 water) seems 2 have the same result.

@robsrsm wrote:
OK....I really don't see how adding saltwater as top-off doesn't affect your SG after a year of doing this. It may be your way but that doesn't make it correct. So....you are saying that if you top off with either salt water or ro/di water, there is no effect on the SG of your tank. :shock:

I quit. As long as your way is correct? Than you should be happy as a clam. I'm happy as a clam with mine! :wink:, Don't know never topped off with RO. I allways use water that is 1.018, with a result of a constant 1.024---1.018 with top off(1 gal/wk) and weekly 5gal water change. My best guess is i lose .006 of salt a week, if my math is correct---thats correct right?