Removing Aiptasia from a Clam?

I rescued a clam from a local LFS and it is doing very well. Unfortunately, there are two Aiptasia on the shell. They have doubled in size in the last few weeks. They are touching the "meat" of the clam and not doing any damage as far as I can tell, but I want them gone.

How would you folks recommend removing these two pests? Can I take the clam out of the water and just cut away? I'm nervous about inecting anything in the water that close to the clam.....thoughts?

Picture
IMG_0579.jpg
alt="">

I'd grab the clam, turn it upside down while under water and gently move it around until it closes up, then take the clam outta the water and use a sharp edged instrument to scrape the aiptasia off, careful to not cut into the meat or dig into the shell more then I hafta...

Once it's off, put the clam back in, gently rock it back and forth to try to work the air bubble out (Burping a clam... How cute!) and put it back in place...

That's just what I'd do though... :)

I whould do the same thing, or you can take a toothbrush and vigorously "brush" the aptasia away and then rinse the clam shell with a little tank water to remove the aptasia pieces, dont want to reintroduce them back in to the tank!.......then burp it!

I have removed aptasia from clam shells by placing the clam in a shallow dish of tank water on its side so the mantle in under the water and scape and brush the aptasia away. Then rinse the clam with a little tank water and place him back in the tank.
Good luck! Oh, it is a beautiful clam:)
Mary

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll tackle this on Saturday and let you know how it goes.....

If you liked that one, you'll probably enjoy these. Just figured out the camera and some of the tricks.....

IMG_0577.jpg
alt="">

IMG_0574.jpg
alt="">

Beautiful stuff Hoss.

Just the title of this thread made me think of a Mermaid with a social disease... :shock: :D

@DheereCrossing wrote:
Beautiful stuff Hoss. Just the title of this thread made me think of a Mermaid with a social disease... :shock: :D said:
HAHAHA....thanks for that. Try explaining to your coworkers why you spit coke all over your keyboard after a quote like that!

Oh, I'll be selling some live stock pretty quick. I'm in the process of setting up a 120 (can you tell I need the space) and am in need of equipment, live rock, skimmer.....so I need some funds.

Josh