Regular xenia

[How do you propagate regular (not pulsing) xenia? This is the type that have individual bulbs where a single polyp can retract into the bulb. Each bulb is connect to the rock, although there are some membrane on the rock connecting each bulb.
I search online and all the examples they used are for pulsing xenia where they just cut across the stark.]

[Since it looks so much like green star polyp, I would just cut it with a sharp knife or scissors and put the piece where you want. We do that with the GSP and it works fine. When our xenia gets large enough, we will be 'trimming' it that way too.]

[Wow.. 4 minutes and I got a response. You guys are great.. thanks.

I'll wait a little bit and then split my new xenia, since the tank is so void of coral. :)

btw. pulsing xenia looks cool.]

Edited By Ptt on 1106955499

[I was just thinking it might be anthelia that was being described. Is this a soft coral that is kind of beige looking when closed up? It tends to grow in a mat, and has these elongated grapes attached. The polyps come out of the grape-shape section.]

[Here are some pics of it.
This is after the light has been turned off for a while and just turned on to take picture.
The color is actually beige to light brown.
When fully extented, it is 2"-3" tall.

0.jpg
alt="">

Anybody know what type of zoo this is?
1.jpg
alt="">]

[Yes, that looks like anthelia to me.

The other hitchhiker I don't recognize.]

[When I had it I just pealed the mat/base away from the rock, then I rubberbanded it to a rock...worked like a charm. It pulled like a carpet]

[Actually, I think those are a clavularia species, maybe grandis. I've read this about the difference:

"Clavularia can completely retract its polyps until only the closed heads of each calyx can be seen. Anthellia can deflate its polyps but one can still see the tentacles as they cannot be withdrawn completely into the calyx."

From the picture, it looks like each polyp is completely retracted, hence my clavularia id. I had a bunch in my tank and you should be careful to contain it as it grows rapidly and can out-sting most other corals.]

[Thanks again for the ID. I found the same site you were quoting from.

In a week, my coral changed name 2 times... xenia to anthelia to clavularia. :)]