Refractor on sale--is this a good one?

K_Red_Raider

Membership Expired
Right now I use a hydrometer and have been thinking about getting a refractor for more precise measurements. I just found this one on sale at Marine Depot and was wondering if it is a good one. It has a bunch of good reviews im just not familiar with refractors to know if this is worth the price or not.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Milwaukee_Seawater_Digital_Refractometer_Aquarium_Refractometers-Milwaukee_Instruments_Inc.-4M00600-FITEOPRF-vi.html

Well I just found it on Amazon for 89.99 + free shipping but still not sure if it is a good refractor.

Yes it's great! Reef Remedies uses one just like it. I've used it and it's very easy to use.

+1 Same one I have too. It's temperature compensated and works really well. I got mine used off RC for $60 shipped but $90 new is a really good deal.

Get it!! I've had one for about a year and not only is it easy to use, but I believe the calibration has only had to be redone twice.

I've used it for quite some time as well. Much better than a hydrometer or the look into a light types. The accuracy is .002, which I know mine constantly reads .001 higher than actual. So I'd recommend getting a salinity calibration solution (1.026 usually) if you want to know precisely how the meter is reading. The unit calibrates easily with 0 water.

My wife got me that one last year for Christmas. Great tool. I highly recommend it. That's a great price too.

Hey I just got one of these and noticed that it has to be calibrated with steamed distilled water. Is this the same distilled water that I can get at the grocery store or is it a "special" water?