reef supplementation

shane054

Premium Member
There are lots of products out there. Do you use supplements and if so what do you use? Why do you use it? How much do you use? How often do you use it? Have you seen results? I currently keep all kinds of corals as well as fish and am interested to hear what works for you. I am looking to purchase some products from Kent Marine but am not sure what to get. I dont just want to go buy stuff just to buy it. I am sure that I am not the only one who could benefit from this info so let us hear it. Thanks.

Hi,
Generally......all of the trace elements are replenished through regular water changes. The important thing is to maintain pristine water quality and NSW levels. The main point is not to add anything to your tank that you don't test for. Strive to get Alk/Mg/Ca balanced along with keeping your PH decent.

Cheers,

yeah, that is what i figured. To be honest, I dont really test anything besides salinity. I do however put a few drops of strontium and calcium in each 5 gallon bucket of R.O. water that I use for topping off but probably not enough to make a real difference. Either way, everything looks great! Fish are all happy and healthy and all of my corals look amazing so I guess that is all that matters. I was just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. Thanks

I use Kent's Coral vite and Essential Elements in my 30gal along with 2part. I also add a drop of Kent's lugal every couple of weeks for the xenia. I know many people say water changes are all that are needed but I'm too busy with 3 kids so I only do maybe 2 or 3 water changes a year.

I just started using a Korallin's Amino Life to my 75gal sps tank. Only dosed a couple of times so I don't know what effect it will have if any.

I use Kent's kh buffer when needed. Also I'm going to start adding kalk to my 75gal for calcium. Hopefully that will be enough and I won't have to invest in a calcium reactor.