Reef sand

BarbaraInTx

Premium Member
[Does anyone know anything about Carib Sea “Indo-pacific black sand” please?
Is this sand all right to use?

Carib Sea

The back of the 125 tank will painted black.
Rick and I saw black-white sand at Petland in Arlington and like the look.

We are having Vincent (Tranquil Scape) make the custom stand/canopy and set up.
I will post pictures of the tank when completed. :love:

Thanks for any comments,
Barbara
Grand Prairie

<i> <b>]</b></i>

[Barbara,

I couldn't find the black sand on the link you'd linked to but I am almost positive it's the same black sand I used a few years ago. If it is then I'd have to say it's a fine sand. Totally reef safe and great all around but for the fact it doesn't contribute to pH stabilization. Otherwise it's a cool new/different color.]

[This sand rocks! Its about as fine as Carib Seas sea floor(.5mm-1.0mm garin size). It is too fine to use with a plenum but is great otherwise. I really like it becuase the look is unique compared to "everyone elses" white sand bottom. You wont be able to mix Tahitian Moon with regular sand and get the same effect as Tahitian moon is almost Oolitic fine sand. The Indo Pacific is a mix of both colors of sand and the grain of both colors vary in size. I am using this sand in 4 of my 5 tanks (5th tank has Oolitic sand for a bottom) with absolutely no problems.]

[Reefette and Imaexpat2 thanks for your help.

We will use that sand.

The tank has been drilled and stand is almost done.

Barbara
Grand Prairie]

[If its the sand I am thinking of, the only real problem with it is that it is magnetic. So be extra careful with it around your magnets. Dont want to scratch your tank.

For some odd reason, it will attach to fish as well. I have a customer with a Stars and Stripes Puffer bigger than a football. When he goes to the bottom to get some krill, he comes up with a goatee! :laugh long: I'm serious!]

[Hummmm....I havent noted that to be a problem yet. Maybe I just havent paid enough attention. I got a Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby and a Flounder and they dont seem to have a problem. It does suck big time when my magnet falls and I get it bach up it takes forever to get all the dang sand out of the hook and loop fasteners (aka velcro).]