Reef Crystals Issue?

J.Davis

Membership Expired
Started up a new tank yesterday. RO/DI.. Zero TDS. Mixed up my RC a cup at a time in the sump as the Mag7 circulated through the 58g system. Dry sand added. 14 hrs later it looks like this...

079E9CFD-547F-4F1A-AB33-5B2D9A86DD9B-10454-00001B04E22CB64C.jpg
alt="">

A2664A42-931B-47E9-860E-EAE18CEFAB43-10454-00001B04E8FDDF87.jpg
alt="">

Anyone have this happen?

Diatom seem a little early, less than 24hrs? Could be I guess. The sand came off the Beach in Destin.

@J.Davis wrote:
Diatom seem a little early said:
I would be worried more about tha sand than the Reef Crystal's. A lot of salt brand's will leave a bit of residue in the bottom of a mixing container but I have never had an issue like you are showing. I would really really not go forward with sand from a beach, it may be contaminated or maybe not but it would really suck if something bad started leaching out afer you have several thousand dollars worth of livestock in there. I would look at that grunge as someone trying to tell me something. [smilie=smile.gif]

Regards,

Update: I removed everything and am starting over. I have 1 full bag of RC left, plus the partial I've been using for WC's on my 30g. I'll mix just SW without anything else.. sand,LR,ect... and see what happens.

I was getting the brown in the sand also I rinsed numerous times, soaked and rinsed again. I never got Brown on the overflow or anywhere else only the high light areas.