Reef Crystals Disappoints

Normally I use Red Sea Coral Pro for my LPS tank and KZ Reefer's Salt for the SPS, but I've heard good things on Reef Crystals so when DFS had a sale I bought 2 buckets for like 60 bucks shipped. Pop'd one open and toke a full range of measurements with it and got...

PH 8.3
Calc 350ppm
Alk 10dkh
MG 1000ppm
K 350ppm
N 0
P 0

Calc and MG really disappointing, Alk to high. I had to supplement them up, which I don't like. If it's low there you know it's off in other elements. It'll have to be regulated to only the LPS tank. Bleh.

PW

I could be completely off, but those look pretty good. I'd like to see the calcium and magnesium higher, but that can be dealt with.

Calcium is actually only about 30 ppm low (very minor)
Alkalinity is actually a little low (not high) desired alk is about 11 dKH.

The only one I would agree with is Mag. 1000 is low, but still easy to raise to appropriate levels.

When we did a small Group buy last July http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=20768&start=20
, Gravit tested his new bucket and heres what he came up with then.
@Gravit wrote:
...I finally got around to cracking open my bucket for a water change. After 24 hours of mixing: SG: 1.026 Ph:8.13 Temp: 79.3 F Ca - 380 Alk - 11.2 Mg - 1185 Not too shabby! said:
Wouldn't it be nice to really have some lab analysis done on brands throughout the year to see what variability there is even within a specific brand. I really don't know how much variability there is within manufacturing limits, and I suspect none of the salt producers would volunteer their lab testing throughout a specific period either. :?
Anyway, I thought I repost Gravit's findings at that point.
Doug

I don't believe you should have to supplement your salts. You don't by a car w/o a transmission, why would you buy salt that doesn't meant you're desired parameters?

Cacl: 420 to 440
Alk: Natural Seawater levels 8dkh
Mg. 1400

For all the hype it really just disappoints, it's average at best. bleh.

I was wondering why my calcium was a little under 400 this week. I did a ReefCrystals water change last week!

I'm with you guys... I'm tired of messing with Salts.

Last time I tested Reef Crystal this is what I got.
I mixed 35 gallons to a specific gravity of 1.025
Calcium 380-400ppm
Magnesium 1240ppm
Strontium 4-10ppm (hard test)
Iodide .03ppm
Alkalinity 9.6 dkh

@Reefmike wrote:
So how 'bout the numbers from those for comparison? said:
Mike, I also switched to Red Sea Coral Pro (Frank got some at a good price). Here are the numbers from last week's 40g WC:

sg 1.026
alk: 9-10dkh
ca: 400-420ppm
mg: 1340
ph: 8.18

I just tested my salt water that I mixed up last weekend and have been circulating for a week. I don't want to get into a salt debate, but more a point of differences between test kits and those individuals using them. Hobby grade test kits are very un-reliable let alone the very un-precise way the regents are measured and dropped, titrated or what have you.

Here are my measurements for Reef Crystals:
Temp 80.6
pH 8.16
SG 1.025
Alk 9.3 dKH
Cal 350 ppm
Mag 1050 ppm
Notice the difference from other tests of the same salt. It could be me, it could be the test kit, or it could be the salt batch.

I know what salt brands I have used over the last 15 years in this hobby and honestly haven't noticed much difference in my reefs when I switch brands. Most of us have some sort of reef tank, with corals that use up directly, or indirectly most of the elements we are testing for, and therefore the water must be supplemented in some fashion to replenish these elements.

Unless you are relying 100% on your pre-mixed salt water to supplement these elements via water changes, it really doesn't matter all that much how your pre-mixed water tests, within reason of course. If your doing a 10% water change, the minor differences in salt brands will barely be noticeable (if they are noticeable) when that 10 gallons is mixed in with the existing 90 gallons for example.

The only reason I was buying ReefCrystals was because I thought it was Instant Ocean with more additives. With these kinds of results why shouldn't I just buy IO? :?

I've used RC from day one on my big tank and have found it to be pretty consistent. There was one batch I had an issue with calcium being to low but I test it every water change (at least every two weeks) for alk, calcium , and MG. Realize this is a ton of batches as I use 1.5 buckets a month minimum.

It's very consistent at around 9 dKh alk. (never seen lower then 8 or higher then 10)

Calcium varies between about 350 and 400. I can live with that. I sure wouldn't want more then 400 out of the box. I keep it around 400.

Mg is always right around 1200. I have never seen it less then 1150 over over 1300. Again that's about right for a 400 calcium level.

It's interesting you use KZ considering you have to supplement it. From their site

"In addition to the base mix you will find two separate bags. One contains magnesium salt, the other calcium salt. This allows reverse osmosis water users to achieve the desired calcium and magnesium levels. The use of reverse osmosis water requires 10 g calcium salt and 15 g magnesium salt per 1 kg of Reefer’s Salt."

IO tests closer to 325-350 calcium and 6-7 dKh with the MG around 1000 in the few times I've tested.

The reason I like RC is because it's rock solid and trusted. I doubt they will have a Kent or Oceanic debacle. Personally I rarely have to add anything to it before the water change.

I have been using RC for a while now too and I have been happy with it. But, the last shipment I bought from Drs Foster Smith came up with these results at 1.027:

Alk - 11.5
Calc - 405
Mg - 1230

The elevated Mg is one of the main reasons I use RC. Now I have to dose the water after I mix it. Hopefully this was just a bad batch, so I will wait and see.

I just double checked with my lastest batch when doing a 90G water change yesterdayand at 1.025 was dKh 9.5, calcium 400, Mg 1200 just the way I like it.

I'll test the 2nd bucket with the next water change in my LPS tank. The numbers do seem more like IO than RC, maybe they had a packaging error? hence the product wide sale? Not sure. Will see how the 2nd bucket turns out.

PW

2nd Bucket Tested

SG: 1.025 (refractometer)
Temp: 79
Ph: 8.2
Calc: 325
Alk: 11.2
MG: 1110

2nd bucket pretty much like first, more MG but less Cal & even higher alk. Again you'd think I bought IO buckets not RC.

PW

PW, I'd really question the test kits at this point. Noty saying your wrong but try taking a sample to someone else's and let them test it and see what they get. It's just odd unless you got a bad batch.