Red Slime in refugium.

dia_cero2002

Premium Member
I keep having problems with red slime algae in my refugium. I believe my lighting is at 5500k or something of that nature and it runs from 10pm to 10am the next morning. It seems to be limited to the refugium as the main tank has none in it. Any ideas on how to keep this from occurring? Thanks.

Reduce amount you are feeding the fish, change your phosban more often and hand pick what you have from the tank. Do all of the above and it will eventually, slowly go away. :lol:

I don't know what size refugium you have... but I have always used a small ph to add some flow in the refugium. Just like in the DT, if your flow is stagnant in areas... you can bet on having cyano soon or later.

I have cyno in my fuge, i just scrape it out when i think about it. It doesn't effect my system and never is the case in my tank. The issue is probably that you don't have enough flow in your sump. I have a pump running through my UV filter and it keeps the water moving in my sump. I have to trim my macro algae once a week it grows like a weed.

Thanks guys. It tends to grow on top of the macro up near where the light is. Maybe I should decrease the time the light is on. Also, I noticed that some of the sand in my main tank is now turning a pink/red hue.... I'll have to watch out for that. I hope it doesn't take hold in the main tank. If it does start growing in the main tank, should I treat it with the red slime remover?

That is one option.

The slime growing on top of your plants.. is that on the surface of the water? Scoop off the red slime carefully with a big soup ladel, and get rid of it. Submerge your plants to get flow over the top of them so the surface isn't stagnant.

@Marc wrote:
That is one option. The slime growing on top of your plants.. is that on the surface of the water? Scoop off the red slime carefully with a big soup ladel said:
This is exactly what I do. I have never had any algae bloom in my tank and it's been up for 7 months. If it happens its better in the fuge than in the main tank :)

Yup, I had come to that conclusion last night. I have so much chaeto that it isn't getting enough flow. I'm going to clear out some and that should do the trick. I noticed that the lowest flowing areas were the areas where the red slime was growing.