Red Bugs, now what?

When I acclimated my corals tonight, I checked all of them for red bugs, except the last one. :x I guess I figured it was ok since the others were fine. It was from a different seller, so there wasn't any logic in that thought process. Anywho, it is loaded with bed bugs. I pulled it out of my tank and rebagged it. Should I throw it away, or try to treat it? I don't have any interceptor. I guess the odds are pretty good that the others will get them now too. :sad:

redbugs.jpg
alt="">
-Chuck

Chuck,

Who did you buy the frag from. You may want to warn other before they get their tank infected.

I won't be able to get any interceptor until tomorrow. Do you think it will live through tomorrow in the bag?

Southern reefer - I may take you up on that. I am going to see if anyone closer has any first. Thanks!!

-Chuck

You certainly could bag it and float it and I think it would be okay for a day. They get shipped for pretty long periods of time. I would float it in an unlit place though.

Or set it up in its very own qt tank - I'm sure you've got some tupperware around you could set it up in with a powerhead ?

Red slime, red bugs...I feel for you, it was nice meeting you yesterday.

Chuck,

Since you had it in your tank and there are so many I feel some of those red bugs most likely got caught in the water column. It will take at least six days for those bugs in your tank to die without a host. Do you have any other acropora type corals in the tank? (Oh, Slimers don't attract red bugs :wink: )

@blide wrote:
I have a plating green acro and a blue acro. I also have a purple tort. I have been watching them. I will be picking up another tank tomorrow, I may need to QT them and treat them. It is a good lesson learned. Spar helped me out and sold me some interceptor.
-Chuck

Yes. I think I may have killed the coral. It looks to have lost some color during treatment. I hope it lives. If it doesn't, I will be oh-fer. I have never treated any fish that has lived, and if this dies, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to treat livestock anymore. We'll see.

-Chuck

Well, the polyps have come out this morning!! Woo-Hoo! And, no red bugs in sight! I am really glad that I didn't throw it away. the polyps are a pretty purple color.
-Chuck

Congratz Chuck!

Did you do it twice as Marc's instructions said, or just one phase of it? Definitely worth always de-red-bugging new coral just in case.

@Spar wrote:
Congratz Chuck! Did you do it twice as Marc's instructions said said:
I did it twice. After the first time, I didn't see any more on the coral. I still used a baster and sprayed it down. I then did the treatment again for another hour. Then I hit it with the baster again, dipped it and swooshed it in a different , unmedicated, large bowl of tank water, and then placed it in the tank. I hope the coral thrives.
-Chuck