Red Bugs, I dipped - Results

So, through my lack of knowledge and effective prevention, I managed to get red bugs.

I did some reading, didn't have Lugol's solution, and read several places that a 1-3 minute freshwater dip would be effective in treating red bugs.

Well, it was. Very effective, and no trace of the bugs (3 days later).

HOWEVER, I about killed all of my Acropora's! The freshwater dip was very effective in killing all of the redbugs, and almost as effective in killing the corals!

The coral turned very pale within minutes, and an hour later were VERY VERY pale, almost white. The only signs of color remaining were the polyps, and those polyps (once green and other colors) were brown.

3 days later, and the corals seem to be recovering. The corals that got a 1.5 minute dip have gotten their skin color back, although a bit browned out.... and the ones that got a 3 minutes dip are still very pale, but definitely have improved...

Just wanted to share my experience.

-Austin

yea, acros are very sensitive to that. the best and safest thing is to find some interceptor. glad they are coming back though and not dying altogether. good luck with it.

I'm looking into the interceptor,

even if i don't need it for the tank it would be good to have for dips for new corals...

Any idea what it normally costs from the VET?

Between 30 and 50 dollars, based on tablet size for a full package.

You don't dip corals in Interceptor. You let them bathe in it for 12 hours.