Recommend a power filter

David Gibson

Premium Member
[I am in the process of helping my sister setup a saltwater tank. She loves Finding Nemo, and after a trip with me to the fish store where she saw a 2" "Dory", she decided she wanted one. I have taught her the basic reality of saltwater husbandry and made sure that if she is going to have one, she's going to take care of it right. So, on to my questions!

She has a 48gal tank. Because of the stand construction, an under stand sump is not going to be possible (unless it's about 3" wide to fit between the stand and the wall). I recommended live rock, but she has balked at the price of it. So, inert decorations it is and I told her that she would need to keep the bioload really light. For filtration, I am thinking that the CPR backpak (which came with the tank) and a HOB power filter should be enough if there are not more than the Regal tang and one/two clownfish (can't forget Marlin can we?).

So what kind/brand of power filters would you recommend for a fish only tank that will be easy to use and clean? And would you have anything else to recommend that would help her keep a better tank?]

[People will always say that having a Regal Tang in a tank that is less that 75 gallons and and under 48" in length is not the best situation to put yourself into. I agree with that. However, if your mind is made up and you are set on the idea then I woould definitely recommend the CPR bakpak as well as a Marineland Magnum 350. I know the fish she is looking at is small now but they do produce a lot of waste when feed properly. Your biggest prolem will be keeping the tank's nitrate levels down. I see lots and lots of water changes in sister's furture. :beerchug:]

[Thanks for the advice David. Yeah, I've told her that as her fish gets bigger, that it will be cramped for space in her tank. I'm starting to get her used to the idea that every few years, she'll have to trade her fish to someone with a bigger tank (or the LFS) and then she could get another small one.]

[I just got an Eheim ecco. Out of the box it looks pretty good and easy to use. Have yet to plug it in though, but will try to let you know how it works just incase you want to consider an external filter.

Oh, BTW on the CPR I would take out the biobail and put in cheato. Just have to make sure it has a light source.]

Edited By the3dwizard on 1096981140