Ready to go to biopellets

Carabelli

Membership Expired
I am getting ready to add biopellets to my system ... looking at one of the re-circulating octopus reactors with the Reef Interests all in one ... total water volume is 100 gallons ... a few questions

I run my alk around 9 ... should I lower that in case I see a bump in the alkalinity?
what volume of pellets should I start with ?
if I run the output of the reactor into the skimmer section, will that be adequate?

anything else I should watch for?

Have you read my biopellet article yet? I'd keep the Alk around 8 rather than 9, and use 2 cups of biopellets (250ml) to start. Dose some type of bacteria like MB7. It's best to direct the effluent directly into the skimmer's intake nozzle.

As Marc says, you want to start slow with the biopellets. I started with about 50% of the recommended amount and then every two weeks I added about 25% more. If you go full dose right away you're more likely to end up with a cyano bloom. Remember, it takes a couple of months for the bacteria to really take hold on the biopellets.

I run my alk about 9 right now with about twice the recommended pellets. I agree start with like 25% recommended then every month add more and watch your phosphate and nitrate. Once they level off to a level you like stop adding till the pellets are dissolved.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

@Marc wrote:
Have you read my biopellet article yet? I'd keep the Alk around 8 rather than 9 said:
Can you link that please for the search impaired or lazy?

http://melevsreef.com/articles/biopellets

Thanks mark, was searching on reefaddicts and forgot to look on your website.

So if a person isn't having any problems with nitrates or phosphates are there any other reasons to run biopellets?

So if I have skimmer that may be slightly undersized, should I upgrade or can I rely on the pellets to pick up the slack ... The skimmer is rated for 140 gallons but the system is 100 gallons but I typica think skimmer ratings from manufacturers are generous

I have a heavily populated 34 gallon nano and was thinking about starting some biopellets.

The thing is that I don't run a skimmer on this tank. (I don't feel nano skimmers are particularly effective, and a pain to adjust in an ever changing water level of my all in one filter)

Question is whether I can run the biopellets at 25% of the recommended amount and see any benefits? The corals, zoas, 10" clam, and others can eat on the bi-product of the biopellets (I'm hoping).

Anyone try theirs like that?

I would like to add have a effiecnt skimmer when running biopellets. mine wasnt working good enough and i ended up with a bacterial slime on everything. Took the pellets off line and gone the next week. I will say my n&P were zero

I am thinking of biopellets but it is because I am lazy and my phosphates are always between .08 and .1 :) and have read where people using them don't change water as much.

There's no reason to get lazy on water changes. but Biopellets will lower your nitrates and phosphates to an undetectable level...but some will tell you that this is not natural an detrimental. That being said...

If you have a great skimmer and run Biopellets you can do less frequent water changes. My waste parameters have been undetectable for 2 years, but I still do 20% water changes every 2-3 weeks minimum. I also pour some skimate back into the tank just in case there is some logic to having too pure water. I have heard of some people going several months without a water change, but I highly recommend against this.

Marc's article is great! I used it along with some members advice, along with a lot of input from Frank at Frank's Tanks to have a lot of success with Biopellets. But again, there is no substitution for water changes!