Rasing Calcium

If you want to raise just calcium without affecting alkalinity you can not use pickling lime. You have to use just a calcium supplement.

Ouch! I'd have the water tested by someone else / with another kit just to rule out some problem.

What are your alk / mg levels at? What do you dose with right now? I'd think your other levels would be out of whack as well.

No worries.. That alk looks good, I'd definitely ask for some help in testing a second sample for ca & mg.

If you don't dose, how did Alkalinity get that high? I don't know of any salt mixes that come close to that reading.

Better to read before you make any changes.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

That is a good read, I just need to add calcium, I used a Salifert and a Red Sea test kit and they both read the same. I use well water that might explain the alk readings. I have add some purple up before that is about it. I will have get a mag. test kit that might also be why my cal. is too low. I will have to read that acticle a few more time to understand it but thanks for the help.

This really is an important topic, and while it may make you feel like you are studying science all over again, the best way to maintain good stable water parameters is to understand the goal ranges. Testing what you have, testing what you are about to add (top off water and/or saltwater), and knowing exactly how much to dose to reach a specific level - all of these things should be done carefully and thoughtfully.

After all, there's life involved. If it was a dog or a cat, you'd be very strict about how to dose and follow the vet's guidelines precisely to keep your pet healthy and happy. With out tanks, we have to turn to each other and a few experts to do the same for animals that rely on us around the clock. :)

I guess I will have to order a Mag. test online on one in Tyler has one "You merchants can make a killing in Tyler". But, meanwhile I will work on getting the cal up to 380ppm at least.

What is the best way to dose Turbo Cal?

20ppm max per day.. I'd go on the safe side, though, and say 10-15.

When I dosed Kent turbo ca, I used a tiny measuring spoon (like 1/8tsp) and put in one spoon worth in a low flow area of my sump every 3 hours, 4 times a day, then tested ca each morning. Until you've got a couple of days of data, you won't know how much your ca will increase, though, so be careful.

(My system was ~270g total volume, and I needed to raise it by about 60ppm.