question on odd water i made

chappy

Premium Member
i mix up 25 gallons of ro water
added the salt then buffer seachem reef buffer last night
i went in the trash can i mix it in tonight and it seems white or like a fine white powder is on the heater the power head and generaly in the water
i am afriad to do a water change
has anyone ever had this or heard of this
tnx in advance

i have had this happen before. nothing major. I would test all parameters and use if within guidelines. What brand of salt are you using?

@derek4real wrote:
i have had this happen before. nothing major. I would test all parameters and use if within guidelines. What brand of salt are you using? said:
i am using red sea coral pro salt

Sounds like the buffer raised your alkalinity too high and caused the calcium to precipitate out. You should test the new salt water first to make sure the buffer is needed. Most salts should mix and not need buffer added but some mix with a lower alkalinity than others.

@Opus wrote:
Sounds like the buffer raised your alkalinity too high and caused the calcium to precipitate out. You should test the new salt water first to make sure the buffer is needed. Most salts should mix and not need buffer added but some mix with a lower alkalinity than others. said:
wow am i a retard i am just so used to buffing my top off i didnt even think
should i toss the 25 gals?

No, you should test the water and post your results.

Temp
Salinity
pH
Alk
Ca
Magnesium

Let's see how it mixed up. And no, you do not need to buffer new saltwater unless you have an obvious reason (low pH or low Alk).

Did you test the water after mixing the salt? I am wondering why you needed to buffer the new mix. Red Sea Pro has a fairly high Ca level to start with and Alk that is acceptable. The white stuff is some perception going on with the salt water mix. Please post the test results of the salt water as Marc suggest before doing a water change just to make sure that everything is OK.