Question about glass shielding

afishfanatic

Membership Expired
I currently have a light canopy that holds 3 halides. The shielding that encloses the canopy is a 6' piece of acrylic. My current 250W bulbs have started melting the acrylic just below each bulb. I am currently looking to upgrade to an even brighter bulb and am considering replacing the acrylic with glass. My question is will tempered glass withstand that much heat? Also, will an occasion splash of water on the already hot glass shatter it? I am open to suggestions, Thanks!

Dean, I had a window company make me a double paned (window) with argon in the air gap. You can talked to the window people at HD or Lowes and have a pane made.
The argon gap does not hamper any of the lights par it just acts as a insulation. I had my 400 MH about 4 inches above the glass and the under side was only warm to the touch. Make sure you specify that you want clear glass.

Would it make sense to have the cool side made of UF-3 to absorb the UV? Clear glass will pass almost all UV won't it?

Dean I have 250W DE PFO pendants and they have a very thin (1/8" I think) tempered glass shield on them only a couple inches below the bulb. They get super hot (I have the scars to prove it) but they have been fine for 3 years for me. They have been splashed a couple times by fish with no issue not that I would make a habit of it!

They made it out of 1/8 inch I believe. I will try to check tonight, I do not use it anymore because I do not have that tank set up. There is about a 1/2 inch seperation between the sheets of glass that was filled with argon.
The glass is not tempered I just did not what any of the tinting they use.

What I will need is a 6'x1' sheet of glass. I wonder if 1/8" glass would be thick enough to handle (cleaning) and not break. I will call Home Depot and see what tempered glass goes for. I like the idea of the double pane glass, but it might be too thick to fit back into the canopy.