QT Questions

Joe

Membership Expired
Set up a 20g QT tank. Had a Flamehawk fish go through no problem. Then about 2 weeks ago we ordered 3 fish from liveaquaria.com 1 Purple Tang, 1 Flame Angle, 1 Royal Gramma.... The Royal Gramma passed about 3 days later and then the Flame Angle died about 2 days or so later.  All were eating and showed no signs of ick or any other sickness.  The ammonia levels did get high, but I'm thinking that was because we had two dead fish in the tank..... Did water changes almost every day about 10%. After the two died, we did a 50% water change to get ammonia all the way back down.  Last night the Purple Tang died, after about 2 weeks in QT. He was eating really good every day, but was still pretty skittish. I am running Hypo Salinity at around 1.011... Also, was putting in PH buffer to keep PH around 8.0.  I'll add pictures below.  Any ideas...? Not sure if it is something we are doing wrong or just stressed fish from LA.com.... View attachment 3120

I am believe that once the fist fish died the increase in ammonia took out the other two. Fish have almost no tolerance to ammonia and is a small water volume it can be lethal.  Do you know if the ammonia was high before the fist fish died. 

On my QT I do about 40% every other day and have good luck. Was probably ammonia, I had issues in the beginning with small daily changes.