purigen and flow

denierlexiese

Premium Member
Guys,
I have had purgien for a year, but probably never full understood it. I tried to get it flowing like jelly fish in a cannister and could never get the flow right without loosing grains out the out tube. Also when I put it in a bag and just dump it in my sump, doesn't the water just go around it? If I put it in a media bag does the tank really see any benefit from it, or does the water just go around the dense purigen and not through it.

Where do you all put your purigen in your tank? Thanks!!!

I don't like the little pillow bag that some of the Purigen comes in. I like to get the Seachem bag with the reusable plastic closer. Then you can put the Purigen in the bag loosely, instead of packed tight like in that small pillow. It seems to work better for me like that anyway. It turns dark much quicker using it loose in that bag anyway, which is supposed to be the indicator that it is working. I am using it like this in hang on filters.

I tumble it low in tlc 150 reactor works well. I put a fine mesh at the outlet hose to catch any that might float out.