pump size question?

i have a 55 gallon tank.... it has dual drains and dual returns from opposite sides of the tank... i just got the plumbing done... i was curious what size pump to use... a mag 7, or a mag 9.5....

i was hearing that the 9.5 would run very hot... and be an issue in the summer time...

What size drain and return holes do you have? I have 2-1in drain and 2 1in returns on mine. I started with a mag 9.5 switched to a mag 12 and now thinking I need to switch to a mag 18.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

I would use something other than a MAG. They work but are not as efficient as other pumps. Have you looked into a Quiet One 3000 or 4000?

Always been a Mag user, after seeing/discussing one at a members house, I will be switching to Sicce in the near future. :)

I think mags are good but if ur buying new, u can probably find a quieter, cooler, and lower power consuming pump. Otherwise, most used return pumps are mags which are fine. U save like 50% buying used so why not.

@Hook'em2006 wrote:
What are the issues with the mag? I use them on most of my reef tanks and now I am curious? said:
Well, I had another face plate break on me this past week. Personally haven't had issues with it, but seems everyone agrees they run hotter than other brands causing temp issues while using more power. The Sicce on the other hand was just as easy, easier really, to disassemble to clean, as well as, a power adjustment, multi hose sizes in one, while running cooler/more efficient.