Prodibio BioDigest + Bioptim = diatoms. why?

steelcaveman

Premium Member
I have been using Probidio BioDigest + Bioptim and have been extremely satisfied with the result.
I starting using Prodibio products around Sept 2011.
My brown chalices returned to their brilliant coloration and my other SPS have started growing fast with great coloration.
The negative of Probidio - diatoms.
At first I thought is was just part of the initiation to Prodibio.
I went on a few forums and found some of the same concerns - but no explanation.
I decided to do some of my own investigation into the why.
The first step was getting my hands on a silicate test kit - as diatoms & silicate go together like GHA & phosphates.
I tested my R/O, tank water, and a fresh bucket of saltwater - all tested zero for silicate.
I also run Rowaphos in phosban reactor - which makes the diatom issue even more perplexing.
My next step will be to dilute the Probidio products and test them for Silicate.
I will also be contacting Prodibio to determine the cause and solution for diatoms.

Here is a copy of the message sent to Prodibio via their website -
I have been using Bioptim and Biodigest. Overall the results have been great. Unfortunately, I have been battling diatoms ever since I started using these supplements about 6 months ago. I tested my R/O water, tank water, & a fresh bucket of salt for Silicate and the tests came back negative for any measurable silicate. I run RowaPhos in a reactor to reduce the diatom blooms. Based on searches of various reef forums this is a rather prevalent problem. The solution being offered up on the forums - switch to a competitors product. What is the solution to rid my tank of this diatom or diatom like substance from my tank? I look forward to your response.

Prodibio gets an A+ for customer service.
I am going to send them a pic of my tank and exact numbers/descriptions for items outlined.
Curious what they consider high Alk & PH.

Dear Mr Powers,

Thanks for using our products. Concerning your diatom problem, to my knowledge there are several factors that enhance their growth:
- inadequate lighting (too low in intensity or wrong wavelenght), as the diatoms can grow on wavelenghts different from those used by chlorophyll.
- high alkalinity, high water hardness
- high pH
- high concentrations of phosphates and silicates
You seem to have phosphates and silicates under control, so you could check you lights and perhaps lower a little bit the alkalinity.
Most algae eating fish will also consume diatoms, maybe they can help.
I am curious to know what competitor products the forums recommend in that case ?

Best regards,

Dr. Guillaume VANOT
Production Manager
Research & Development

Dear Mr Powers,

Thanks for using our products. Concerning your diatom problem, to my knowledge there are several factors that enhance their growth:
- inadequate lighting (too low in intensity or wrong wavelenght), as the diatoms can grow on wavelenghts different from those used by chlorophyll.
Tank is 90g. Fixture is a 36inch 8 bulb T5.
Bulbs - 4 ATI blue plus, 2 ATI coral plus, 2 ATI purple plus.
- high alkalinity, high water hardness 9.3alk
- high pH 8.3PH
You seem to have phosphates and silicates under control, so you could check you lights and perhaps lower a little bit the alkalinity.
I am curious to know what competitor products the forums recommend in that case ? Zeovit, Fauna Marin, Brightwell.

Attached are pics of my tank and the stuff growing on the sand.
What exactly do you suggest I try?
Thanks, John Powers

Dear Mr Powers,
Tank is 90g. Fixture is a 36inch 8 bulb T5.
Bulbs - 4 ATI blue plus, 2 ATI coral plus, 2 ATI purple plus.

No issue if the bulbs are new.
- high alkalinity, high water hardness 9.3alk
Quite high, perhaps consider slowly lowering it in the 8-9 range
- high pH 8.3PH
ok
I am curious to know what competitor products the forums recommend in that case ? Zeovit, Fauna Marin, Brightwell.
What products exactly ?

Attached are pics of my tank and the stuff growing on the sand.
Look good, not a lot of it. Coralline algae seem to thrive.

What exactly do you suggest I try?
If it’s just on the sand, remove it with a gravel vacuum cleaner when doing your water changes.

John Powers
8:56 AM (10 hours ago)

to PRODIBIO
Thanks. I added some clean up crew this weekend, as I had none.