Probe/pulse start

[I'm going to be upgrading the lights on my 100gal with MH soon and I've been looking around online for what would be needed.. I'm already way out of my league when it comes to electronic stuff anyway, so it's been a little confusing for me..

Hellolights.com is where I'm pretty sure I'll be buying from but I don't really know what advantages there would be with going with either the probe or pulse start lights.. The price difference is pretty minimal with the brands I've seen, so which is the better way to go??

Also, what are the benefits (if any) of going with an electronic retrofit rather than the magnetic?? There's a pretty decent price difference between the two I've noticed..

Thanks for any help that comes my way..]

[HI
I had the same choice and when with the electronic. You can use any bulb, the bulbs last longer, and the balast puts off less heat, and use less electricity, that being said it may take 3 or more years the get the money back. If you really need to save the 50 bucks or less difference find out what bulb you like the look of on a magnetic ballast and get that setup and hope they don't discontinue that bulb for awhile. There is also the benifite that if you even need to sell it the electronic will be sold before you can finnish the post. Hope that helps
Joe]

[I have used metal Halide lights for several years and I know it can be confusing with all the different choices in the marketplace. All metal halide ballasts work well as long as you match up the correct ballast with the correct lamp. There are many bulbs that look great with a probe start ballast and the same can be said for pulse start. The advantage with electronic ballasts is that most bulbs will work on an electronic ballast taking the guesswork out of making sure you have the correct bulb for a particular ballast. Still, there are some bulbs out there not recommeded for an electronic ballast (ie Sunburst). In making a choice look at your budget and then choose the ballast and bulbs that will work well together. You mentioned Hellolights.com. I have used them many times with excellent results, but another site you might look at is DIYreef.com. They have excellent prices and all the different types of ballasts. Hope that helps.]

[Anyone know if my Dual 175w PFO ballasts are pulse start or not? I've been using Ushio 10000K bulbs, if that helps.]

[PFO designates it in their model number. Look on the case it should say AQ2-175MH-PS (or something close to that) if it is a pulse start ballast.]

[Thanks very much for the help, folks.. I really appreciate it..

jamac, I'll definately check out that link..]

@Scott Comstock wrote:
[PFO designates it in their model number. Look on the case it should say AQ2-175MH-PS (or something close to that) if it is a pulse start ballast.] said:
[Mine doesn't. :(

It says AQ2-175MH It is in handwriting on the Model # line.

When they turn on, it makes a funny sound like 3 or 4 (mild) gun shots in a row. Would that logically be the sound of it pulsing several times in a row?]

[The pulse start ballast sounds like a strong buzz when it ignites. "mild gunshots" sounds more like a short within your capacitor.... It IS working... right?!?]

[Yes, it (actually they) work perfectly. I guess buzzing is a better description. It is just something you can almost count, sort of like thunder (again, it is mild, but notable at 10:30am).]

[Marc,

The pulse start ballast that I used from ESU made the same sound each time it fired. Ushios usually work best on a pulse start ballast but will work (although not as well) on a probe start. From the sound you described you have a pulse start ballast. Most probe start ballasts make little if any sound.]

[I may have probe/pulse backwards in this so keep that in mind, but I think its right

Pulse start means there is a starting device in the bulb itself.

Most european brand bulbs are pulse start, with the exception of the 250w Ushiro (was a tread about a vendor issue I posted some info on it if you wish to search, having to do with A T in lewisville).

Most american made ballasts are probe start. This means they require a starting device wired to the ballast to fire the bulb.

You cannot interchange the bulbs. They will either not start, or burn down your house when you try to start a bulb with a starter with another starter...

As for the buzzing, I would say the buzz is from a magnetic ballast, while the clicks and pops may be the sounds of an electric ballast or maybe a starter I'm not sure.

They claim magnetic ballasts are better, They are dimable (I think) and put out less heat. The price difference is insane though IMO. You can buy a magnetic 175w MH ballast probe start for almost half the price of an electric start version, but you limit yourself in bulbs to american build probe start types.

"Pulse-start metal halide lamps utilize a glass arc tube to contain the arc. Pulse-start technology has been used in lower wattage HPS lamps for decades. The technology has just recently moved into the higher wattages. The advantages of pulse-start over standard probe-start are higher efficacies (lumens/watt), quicker start and re-strike times, longer life, and improved lumen maintenance. Just like all other HID lamps, the electrodes deteriorate over time, which is a major cause of lamp failure." - Bonneville Power Administration.

http://www.bpa.gov/Energy....ide.pdf

After reading that, I wonder if pulse start ballasts are even availible in magnetic types?]

@mwolek wrote:
[After reading that said:
[http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=102

I just ordered this setup....it says "Two 250w Magnetic Pulse Start Ballasts" so I think that answers your question :D

That's the best price for a dual 250W setup i've seen so far. Came out to be around $300 with shipping.]