Possible new tank, help identifying??

I read one day on another forum about a guy who received a 180 or 210 (or something) RR tank for free from a friend of a friend. I was always jealous and thought, "what a lucky guy, that would never happen to me." Well, yesterday I got an email from a friend that said he had a tank that I could have if I just came and picked it up. Pretty cool I thought. He gave me overall dimensions (51.5x33x22), but he doesn't know anything else about the tank (or hasn't given me any more info). I've been waiting for pic's to determine if its usable, as I don't want a POS laying around the house. He initially told me he thought is was 100-gallons, but if I'm calculating it correctly, it seems to be around 160 gallons. I thought maybe it was a DAS 160, but I can't seem to find dimensions to confirm. I'm not even sure if the 33x22 is correct, or if its actually 22x33. I hate to pressure the guy to give me details since its a freebie, so I'm trying to do some research on my own to figure out what exactly it is. Either way, I hope to get over to his house this weekend and check it out.

Any thoughts??

If it's unusable by me, I guess I'll try and sell it and split the funds with him. We shall see. I'll post up more info as I get it.

This is a DAS 165, no dimensions posted. Tank is probably similar to this.
aquarium12_tn_423x400.jpg
alt="">

Yes, he finally sent me pic's a few minutes ago. Definitely a DAS. Not exactly what I was looking for, so we'll see. There is not a stand in any of the pic's either, so I'm still unsure if he has one. I'm not sure if they are worth much, so I'll talk to him and decide if it's worth it or not. What is the going rate for a tank like this right now?

imagejpeg_4.jpg
alt="">

imagejpeg_3.jpg
alt="">

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
alt="">

I don't know much about DAS tanks. Are the canopies connected onto the tank? Can it be separated? I've read about a few people drilling them, but not sure how feasible that is.

The in tank filtration can be removed and then it can be drilled. The large black plastic perimeter up top is built into it. All in all they are solid tanks, but I never like the in tank filtration.

If you are going to trash filtration area can I have the skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me talk to him over the next few days and decide what I am going to do with it, if anything. I just need to figure out if it is worth driving across town, picking it up, and spending the time necessary to clean it up and get it ready for sale. I have a herniated disk in my back right now and lugging stuff around town has grown progressively harder. No aquariums are lite, and this is not exception.

Ive got a 130 DAS in my living room waiting for me to finish setting it up, and I promise you, it was not fun to move.

@ctaylor81 wrote:
Let me talk to him over the next few days and decide what I am going to do with it said:
i can help you move it if you are junking the filtration section i want to use it for a future project

That looks like a great tank !! If in good condition, with some vinegar and water it will look even better. If it was mine, I would leave the overflow, remove the skimmer and drill it for external filtration. In regards to $$$$, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get between $800-$1000 for it. If it cleans up nicely...that is !!

Unfortunately DAS tanks don't really sell for much. I got my first one (115g) for $200, and my current one (115g) for free. The latter is nicer than my first one! Both tanks have had the filtration ripped out. I had my current one drilled on the back glass near the top for a drain type overflow. The tanks themselves are great but for some reason they just don't re-sell for much

I don't doubt that they are good tanks. The wifey isn't a fan of anything but custom wood stands/canopies. My tank is in our living room and has to be furniture quality. My stand/canopy now is decent, but the next will have to be nicer than the one I have, otherwise I'm up a creek. I'm not really a big fan of corner overflows either, and I see it being a challenge, if not impossible to move the overflows on this type of tank. I haven't seen it yet, so I may be wrong. I'm not sure how the overflow/filtration box is connected. It may be just like a normal overflow box that can be removed. I don't see how you would get around the attached canopy either if you wanted to build a stand/canopy setup to put this tank in.

If I do get it and end up selling, it may be a better idea to leave it all together so its easier to sell as a complete package. I'm sure there are parts available for this type of tank, but buyers always want a more complete package deal.

Decisions, decisions...

I had the black trim one, now I have a really nice wood trim. With the unique dimensions of the tank my only option is to hang my lights which works out because there isn't much heat transfer at all, but it sounds like your wife wouldn't go for that.
Here's a pic of my current:
[attachment=0]IMG_3189resize.jpg[/attachment]

The only way to add a canopy is to have part of it come down over the black trim so you don't see it. I thought about doing that with the old one until I got my new one.