Possible casue of death???

ksr1026

Membership Expired
I had 2 small Bangai Cardinals in my 34 gallon RSM 130d. They were doing fine for about a month - eating well - then 1 died about a week ago. I found him up in the overflow box. The 2nd Cardianl had a bubble eye right after, but was eating well - found him in the same spot tonight. The tank was up and running for about 1 -1 1/2 months before I added them. Also in there -> 35 lbs of live rock, 30 lbs of live sand, 10 or so different corals and a good amount of CUC.

I added a small pair of clowns about 2 weeks ago - the Cardinals were in hiding most of the time after I added them, but still came out to eat.

water test tonight:

pH - 8 (maybe a little above)
Amonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Salinity 32 ppt

I haven't seen the water level rise quickly where the overflow box gets flooded over - both nights when I found them it was at normal level. I know the flow is sometimes a problem for the RSM 130d (I have the inTank media basket and tunze skimmer).

Any ideas what is more likely the reason for their deaths?

Difficult to tell. Sometimes things just fall over for no apparent reason. The bubble eye is a bit troubling, sometimes it is related to poor water quality but your tests don't seem indicate that.

@Matt wrote:
Were they wild caught or tank bred? said:
i think I know where you are going with that question. Acclimation to the 32 if not done over a very long time could have been the cause. I know most fish stores like there water close to 19. May have also caused the eye pop since that is a different pressure in the water with a big change like that.

@Burbarry wrote:
[I]@Matt wrote:[/I][quote="Were they wild caught or tank bred? said:
i think I know where you are going with that question. Acclimation to the 32 if not done over a very long time could have been the cause. I know most fish stores like there water close to 19. May have also caused the eye pop since that is a different pressure in the water with a big change like that."]I think your mixing up Salinity and ppt . 32 ppt = 1.0236

I believe they were tank bred, but not sure. There were a lot of them and they were pretty tiny. That many so young would indicate tank bred?

I do a 5 gallon water change every other week.

I've never seen them go to the top of the tank - if they die do the float up (maybe the current takes them)? The clowns definitely stressed them out, but when it was down to the one he seemed to hang out more close to them.